The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: atypical but good Macon, typical almost-Soave

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: atypical but good Macon, typical almost-Soave

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:35 pm

Last night Betsy was making the pasta with shrimp ragu, accompanied by an eggplant/feta/mint salad. I thought crisp Italian, but decided to just try a Macon that was already chilled. The 2002 Domaine Emilian Gillet "Quintaine" Macon-Vire had been recommended by a retailer I like. Whoa, this was not what I was expecting. Big rich flavors of apricot and peach, verges on sweetness, but actually dry. Pretty good acidity, but not what I was envisioning for the pasta. I take a look at label and see that this is a Jean Thevenet property (like Bongran). Aha, I should have guessed- I knew Alan who recced it is a Thevenet fan. I'm not really getting botrytis like I have on some of the Bongrans, but it has similar richness. B+

A good wine, but I just can't imagine it with the pasta (more an apertif to me), so I go down for another bottle. This time I do go for Italian, the 2006 Anselmi San Vincenzo (Veneto). First taste of a new vintage of an old favorite. Good crispness, upfront fruit, nose of hazelnut and lemon, clean white fruit with nuts and mineral on the finish. Nothing deep here, just pretty straightforward Soave. B/B+

I'll note that both recipes were from Wednesday's NYT (Mark Bittman did the pasta, Melissa Clark the eggplant), and were both excellent (the first Clark recipe I've really liked).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

okay, this is spooky

by John Tomasso » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:19 am

I had the '99 version of this very same wine, last night at dinner with some friends. He brought it along - it's a wine he'd discovered in France.

One of the things we talked about while drinking the wine was that we'd never seen anything posted about it on the boards, and then I wake up this morning, and here it is. What are the odds?

I loved the wine, and picked up the same stone fruit aromas and tastes that you did.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: WTN: atypical but good Macon, typical almost-Soave

by Jay Labrador » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:36 am

Thank you for the note on the Thevenet. I've been looking for notes on this wine as this has recently become available here in Manila. Intriguing wine so I bought a bottle this afternoon, just a few hours before reading your note.