The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What's with Yellow Tail??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Yellowtail Riesling

by Jenise » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:35 pm

No help on the riesling, and I'd have never spent a dime of my own money on a YT wine, but someone left a bottle of the chardonnay here last weekend and I just poured myself a glass. Here's a brief report.

Bright greenish yellow color. Nose is decent and of the typical inexpensive over-the-top tropical California Chardonnay variety with a hint of bubble gum. On the palate, green apples and pineapple with a heavy, vanilla/toasted oak finish that turns slightly bitter. Yet for all that is anything but complimentary, this wine actually tastes better than I expected it to for, of all the things about it I dislike, flab and residual sugar aren't two of them so I could actually drink this if I had to.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:44 pm

A.B. Drury wrote:
My apprehensions about posting a TN were slight and vanished quickly, so this was no big deal; I feel good about what I got, I imagine it takes time to pick up on most specifics.

You should not be apprehensive at all. And you should feel good about what you got. You described your reaction to the wine, and did it well. And anybody reading your note would know how you felt about it.
I am impressed that almost everybody got a lot more out of the nose than I did. Mine was really mute. And the taste wasn't much better. But I assume that when a commercial enterprise makes a kazillion bottles, they don't all come from the same tank, and that may just be the difference. That, or my sniffer and taster aren't working well today. But give me a Dr. L, virtually any riesling from Old Mission Peninsula in Michigan, anthing that comes from the Wehlener Sonnenuhr hillside, half the FL and Leelanau peninsula rieslings, or any Donnhoff of any price, and I'll be a happy camper.
-OW
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:53 pm

NM / KY

by A.B. Drury » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:52 pm

Thx for the kind words, OW :) You seem to (otherwise) enjoy your Rieslings quite a bit??
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:52 pm

Hi Jenise. Thanks for coming along for the YT ride, it was a lot of fun. Your chardonnay sounds correct for the price. Nice note on that pinot gris btw.

edit. I think we have been talking different vintages here. Mine was the `06, OW had the `05????

Think Bob Ross will be along shortly.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:12 pm

The kerner really was a good QPR wine. Koster Wolf makes nice stuff: riesling trocken (1 liter), pinot grigio/pinot blanc, pinot noir, kerner, pinot blanc. And all are just $9.99, even the liter of riesling!

Thanks for the tasting A.B. This is fun. Oh, and here are the "notes" from the Central Market Wine Dept. meeting yesterday on Chateau Reyon '04 Bordeaux (these are verbal quotes and not written notes). Remember, we are professionals.

"Holy fu**ing sh*t! That smells just like coffee and beef jerky! What a fu**ing trip!"

"No sh*t, man. So peppery and meaty on the nose."

"Wow. Dude. Man."

"Godd*mn, that's some good sh*t. And the 04's mostly sucked."

"No sh*t."

rwj
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:58 pm

2006 [yellow tail] Riesling Southeastern Australia. 12.5% alcohol; $6.00 at Wine Discount, Passaic.

Light yellow color, light hue, faint aroma of pears and lemons, very light fizziness, good fruit flavor, pears and citrus, light acidity, a medium long finish with hints of fruit. No EGA. Tasted at 50F, 55F and 60F, pretty much the same at each temp, with a bit more fruit at 60F. Developed a grassy impression when warmed in the glass for 15 minutes or so. A very easy sipping wine (I read "The New Yorker" and "The Atlantic" with a couple of glasses); it's a wine that would go as well with Chinese food as a light American beer, my usual beverage with simple Chinese foods. Simple, but drinkable and fun, and a great price. 2*.

Regards, Bob

Notes: Alan Kennett, Chief Winemaker; 114 calories in a six ounce glass.

I was surprised, frankly, that this wine had as much flavor as it did. I compared my impressions with a few notes from Cellar Tracker:

Lime, grapefruit, and lemon flavors, with a shade of light spice at the end. Not as sweet as you'd expect an inexpensive Riesling to be. Casual and enjoyable.

Not bad, but we preferred a Schmitt Sohne (at the same price) over this one. Not very complex or smooth, but still pleasant.

Good pear flavors, fruit-forward riesling. Nice with chinese food.

Not too sweet, a little bit of pear flavor.

Not normally a fan of Yellow Tail, but I was surprised. This Riesling isn't bad--especially for the price!
Last edited by Bob Ross on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:25 am

Thanks Bob for taking part. I had a thought you might have some words of...eh wisdom for us! I too warmed the wine up to around 60 and found some more fruit there but much prefered it chilled. As we all know, some more (serious) wines can taste better at this temp.
I could not find any fizz, which vintage did you have? Seems we have a kinda split verdict here if one reads all the TNS here.Fun time!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:52 am

Oops, 2006, Bob. Sorry. I'll edit that in.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:55 am

Bump up for the kid from Manchester England!!!!!
Previous