The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent pairings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent pairings

by Florida Jim » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:29 am

Turkey sandwiches:
2002 Clos Roche Blanche, Gamay:
Still some burnt stem on the nose but the wine has gained weight and texture since release and is full of red fruit flavors. Another year or so in the cellar won’t hurt. 12% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $12; I have plenty.
Good with the food as the stemmy notes disappeared and the fruit paired well against the turkey.

First, a raw zucchini salad with olive oil, lemon juice, basil and garlic; second, pasta with shrimp in sun-dried tomato purée:
2004 A. et P. de Villaine, Bourgogne Les Clous:
One perfectly balanced, beautifully nuanced bottle of chardonnay sans wood. I love this wine and think it stands as proof that this house can do wonders with vines from the Côte Chalonnaise. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $20, on release; worth multiples of that price.
Chosen because I knew it would not be heavy, this was exquisite with the food; allowed the delicate flavors of the zucchini salad to come through, stood well against the lemon and cut the tomato purée without sacrificing its flavors. A superb pairing and a great wine.

Grilled chicken breast, marinated chick-pea salad and tomatoes with EVOO and basil:
2000 Hamacher, Pinot Noir:
A bit candied and oaky on the nose but also solid red fruit and spice; the same on the palate with depth, crunchy fruit flavors, intensity and good length. Not the wine it was on release when it was much more ethereal. 13% alcohol and about $40 on release; I’d not buy it again.
Better with the food than expected as the caramelized parts of the chicken took away the oaky/sweet notes in the wine and the flavors of the wine went very nicely with the poultry and chick-peas.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Recent pairings

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:35 am

Jim,

Was the 2002 Clos Roche Blanche under synthetic or real cork? I ask because the 2005 is synthetic & I'm dubious about aging any of my bottles much longer.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: Recent pairings

by Florida Jim » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:46 am

Real cork.
Best, Jim