The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Licia Albariño Rias Baixas Spain.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2006 Licia Albariño Rias Baixas Spain.

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:07 pm

2006 Licia Albariño Rias Baixas Spain. 12.5% alcohol. $12.00. Beekman, Glen Rock; imported by Winebow Brands, International, NYC.

Light golden yellow, clear hue, lovely apple, honey and mineral aroma, lovely apple and fruit tastes, medium mouth feel, firm acidity, pleasing and long lasting finish with mineral and apple notes. No EGA. This worked beautifully with sardines in olive oil on thin white bread; the acidity and the olive oil both enhanced the Northern Pacific sardines. 4*.

Winebow: The Lícia label is a project between Winebow and winery owner Jose Limeres, a native of the Galician town of Pontevedra. Limeres, owner of several successful restaurants in Madrid, entered the wine business when he was searching for a reliable supplier of quality wines for his restaurants. He bought his first property in O Rosal and planted native varieties that flourished in its unique climate and soil. The resulting wines proved a hit, particularly his Albariño which strikes just the right balance of sugar and acidity. The vineyards for Lícia's wine are located in the O Rosal and Condado de Tea subzones of DO Rías Baixas. The vineyards of O Rosal run inland as far as Tuy and are terraced into the sides of the River Miño where it opens into a wide estuary. The topsoil is correspondingly alluvial, with clay and sand over granitic topsoil. Condado de Tea stretches from Tuy along the Miño Valley to meet the Ribiero DO. The area is made up of complex small river valleys. Here granite bedrock and slate come to the surface.

http://neildrinkswine.blogspot.com/ An interesting tasting note.

2 3.5/4 stars

Nose: It's like cotton candy spun by spiders. Spiders with huge fangs and lots of polite apology notes on correspondence made from lemon grass and spritzed with grapefruit rinds.

Flavor/Aroma: Picture this...You have $42.56 left in your pocket. You want to meet your girl at her house, have a glass of wine and still have enough to spend $30.56 on a dinner that you learned how to make from Alton Brown. You can do it with this wine and still have $.56.

Beautiful brown flowers of simplicity leap from my glass to form a bond like Voltron of acid. The lasting effects on my palate are like an increasing interest rate. The relaxing feeling I receive is like a waterfall of lemon and a yielding fountain of mineraly stones that don't really form real words just the one's you mutter. For real.

Twelve bucks and where is Anna? Somewhere close by, I know.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2006 Licia Albariño Rias Baixas Spain.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:41 pm

Bob, we are doing Albarino over on Wine Focus this month. Any chance you can copy over there?!!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:11 pm

Will do, Bob. The way I read WLDG, all the posts come up in a big clump, and I never pay any attention to all the sub-categories. It's moving as we speak. :)

Done!

I guess I knew that since I already made two posts on Wine Focus this month. Four different Albariños. Four different fish. All good matches.

Good stuff.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:23 pm

Yeah, great stuff. You have a lot more choice than me out here!!!