The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner with Others

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Dinner with Others

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:14 pm

Dinner at a friend's house with three couples. Nice time and nice food, although I felt bad for my friend who spent so much effort lovingly and tenderly preparing the mushroom risotto only to add too much cheese at the end and muck up the texture. Oh well, people ate it.

2005 Luneau Papin Muscadet Clos des Allées
Delicious ripe round and salty although not quite as succulent and racy as previous tastings over the past year. Either it is slimming and moving on or my mouth was still tainted from the sludgy oak bomb of a Pouilly-aperitif I was handed. Or both.

2003 Henry Pellé Menetou Salon Les Cris
Why would you put this much oak on a red Menetou Salon?

1998 Louis Jadot Beaune 1er Cru
This is in a nice place, comfortable with itself and its resolved confident gulpable fruit. Fun to drink.

2005 Frédéric Mabileau St. Nicholas de Bourgueil Cuvée Eclipse
Good god is this difficult to drink after the 98 Jadot. So young, primary, and grapey it is almost fierce and harsh on the palate. Plenty of juicy fruit and some nice structure underneath, but the sour whiplashes curling through the wine prove that it really needs time to calm down, and not be served after primedrinking wines.

2002 Berry Bros. & Rudd Selection Sauternes
Left over from a wedding last year and this was nothing to behold. Angular steel without character.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: WTN: Dinner with Others

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:23 pm

Excellently useful notes!