The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nahe, Pinot Grigio, and an old Santenay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Nahe, Pinot Grigio, and an old Santenay

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:09 am

Sunday Betsy's sister, niece, and nephew came over, they spent the afternoon making fresh pasta. Dinner was a Ligurian-styled boiled lasagna with pesto, we also had grilled shrimp and a caprese salad. Tomatoes are FINALLY ripening in the home gardens in this cool summer.

2006 Tiefenbrunner Pinot Grigio (Venezie IGT)Good crisp acidity, clean pear fruit accented with a hint of flowers, a touch of mineral on the rather short finish. I don't tend to find the Tiefenbrunner wines exciting, but they are usually utilitarian, and this one fits the mold. B/B-

We were partly celebrating David's birthday, so I also had a minor birthyear wine on the table:
1988 Francois & Denis Clair " Clos de Tavannes" Santenay 1er Cru
No, I normally don't cellar Santenay till it's 19. I bought this one for something like $10-15 as a flyer couple years ago,. then never found an opportunity to open it (as I feared it well past it). So here was a goods opportunity- right for birthyear, no geeks to disappoint, not the primary dinner wine, so no downside. A little mute at first, but picks up a little weight and fruit as it sits. Fruit is red currants and cherries, and they definitely have a slightly tired edge to them, There's also a bit of animal funk, gamey without being overwhelming. I'm sure this would have been much better 5 or 10 years ago, but a nice lightweight Burg that still hold a little interest. B-

Monday Betsy made a "Chinese Chicken Salad" (chicken, red cabbages, other vegetables in a peanut sauce) with brown rice, and a side of kale soup. Wine was the 2004 Hexamer "Quarzit " Meddersheimer Rheingrafenberg Riesling QbA (Nahe). Nice sprightly body, lime and peach fruit with a sprinkling of spice, good bright finish with a note of flint. Clean, cool, and calming. Very nice for level. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: WTN: Nahe, Pinot Grigio, and an old Santenay

by JC (NC) » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:14 am

"Cool summer"--Dale, count your blessings.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Nahe, Pinot Grigio, and an old Santenay

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:37 am

I know (as someone who grew up near Greensboro). My parents are in Atlanta area now, and my dad said they hit 100°F something like 11 days in a row. We usually have a lot of heat in NY, but I think we've only hit 90° 2 or 3 days, and have had quite a few days with highs in 60s and 70s. Lots of rain, too. Bad for tomatoes, but at least not a lot of watering Betsy's plants.