The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 Joseph Drouhin Domaine de Vaudon Chablis

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1995 Joseph Drouhin Domaine de Vaudon Chablis

by Jenise » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:15 pm

To go with chicken tortellini in a spicy/creamy sage sauce, I chose a 1995 Joseph Drouhin Domaine de Vaudon Chablis. Didn't expect it be a wow match, and it wasn't in that class like the Grange with the lamb shanks in pomegranite/fennel sauce was on Sunday--I just wanted to drink this wine, this week, and this dish was a reasonable excuse that exceeded expectations because the wine was so outstanding and there was nothing in the dish to offend it.

Saturated yellow color. In the nose, ripe pear, meyer lemon and a heady, unmistakable sweet blast of marzipan. Bob didn't immediately get what I meant by marzipan, but when I said "bear claws" he roared in agreement. That's his favorite pastry, so marzipan is something he knows and loves even if not by name. On the palate, intense flavors of flinty wet rocks, baked apple, not-so-ripe pineapple, butterscoth and just a tiny bit of petrol. Additionally, it has great texture: an oiliness you can feel as well as see on the walls of the glass, and good acidity. I acquired three or four bottles of this about three years ago, and this is the best and most balanced bottle yet. In fact, the wine just seems timeless. I am not always so sure of these things, but this time I am: this wine has everything it needs to be one of the wines Francois talks about ten years from now.

Or heck, twenty.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 1995 Joseph Drouhin Domaine de Vaudon Chablis

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:55 pm

thanks for note. Even though it's "just" regional Chablis, I think the Vaudon plot is a lieu-dit of pretty old vines, and I find it a good value most vintages.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:35 am

Dale, I really don't know Chablis, but I bought this (Winebid, $10) after tasting an impressive '95 Verget that I thought was from the same Village. I've not since been able to confirm that Verget made one so God knows what I had, but if I made an error then I am glad to be luckier than smart, for these sure worked out well. New they sell for what, in the high $20's?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:05 am

Pretty sure the Vaudon property is a monopole that has been in Drouhin's hands for quite a while. Perhaps the Verget was a Vaudesir, or maybe Vaillons? Maybe Alan U. will see and chip in with accurate info, I'm just skimming fuzzy grey cells.

I think I paid about $20 for the 2005, thought it was a good deal:
Really lovely Chablis, crisp and middleweight, not as ponderous as a few '05s. Nose of apple blossoms and gunflint, on the palate Granny Smith apple rules with an edge of lemony citrus and a minerally finish.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Yeah, that's what I concluded--that the Verget was most likely the Vaudesir. My memory is generally accurate, and would have at least gotten the first four letters right. Anyway, I'd buy the Drouhin again--thanks for the note on the 05, that might be one to look for.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:48 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Pretty sure the Vaudon property is a monopole that has been in Drouhin's hands for quite a while. Perhaps the Verget was a Vaudesir, or maybe Vaillons? Maybe Alan U. will see and chip in with accurate info, I'm just skimming fuzzy grey cells.

What about Valmur?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:35 pm

Good point.

And Valdemort!

I guess not (but it you mixed Valmur and L'Homme Mort.....)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:31 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Good point.

And Valdemort!

I guess not (but it you mixed Valmur and L'Homme Mort.....)

Depending how one feel's about Verget's wines, that might be an appropriate cuvée name...

Mark Lipton