The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dragon Tree 2005 (and a question on Pinotage)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Dragon Tree 2005 (and a question on Pinotage)

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:35 pm

From Flagstone Wines.
Western Cape.

One of those "everything but the kitchen sink" blends: Cabernet Sauvignon (49 per cent), Pinotage (21), Merlot (10), Cabernet Franc (10), Shiraz (six), Petit Verdot (four).

Very dark purple in the glass.

A rich nose, with chocolate and smoke.

A big wine, plump and quite rich in the mouth, cherry and raspberry, smoky, leathery, quite tangy, a bit of chocolate, iodine, peppery. The wine showed a bitter streak toward the end, along with some burned-charred notes that were mildly offputting.

Quite gulpable, despite the wine's hefty 14.5 per cent alcohol.

Screwcap closure.

Purchased at $15.95 (Canadian).

The back label contained a rather interesting statement about the wine, referring to "The challenge of blending with Pinotage...." It didn't explain what exactly that challenge might be. Would anyone here be able to educate me?
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

Re: WTN: Dragon Tree 2005 (and a question on Pinotage)

by Matt Richman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:49 pm

Pinotage is an odd grape, not to my liking. I imagine it is inherently difficult to blend...since you would be attempting to hide it's strange flavors.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Bruce, I'm not sure what was meant by "challenge" of blending with Pinotage - I have had many blends containing Pinotage that clearly showed the Pinotage component, but that were obviously different from straight-up, full-on varietal Pinotage.

I don't think I'll ever see the end of the Pinotage controversy - though I never fail to say which side I'm on personally. I love the grape - it is my #1 favourite red vinifera grape bar none. Jubilant wild-strawberry/banana (estery) forward fruit is typically combined with a smoky, leathery mid-palate and a long, tannic Lapsang Souchong / astringent black-table-grape finish. Often one will also get cured / smoked-meat nuances in the wine too. Or plum pudding ... or fruitcake.

Whatever the descriptors (and this is typically dependent on the taster), I love the unmistakable mélange of aromas that is South African Pinotage.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:29 am

I don't know what Bruce meant -- I was surprised to see the list of varieties in there since I recall Dragon Tree as being a Pinotage/Cabernet blend.

The web-site just lists details of the 2002 Dragon Tree ( 54% Pinotage
46% Cabernet Sauvignon) and the 2003( Cabernet Sauvignon / Pinotage / Shiraz / Merlot - no percentages disclosed).

Bruce is a devotee of experimental blending -- his Noon Gun is delicious and has 7 varieties and he recently did a stunning Sauvignon Blanc/Morio Muscat.