The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Pillar Box Red

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: 2004 Pillar Box Red

by JC (NC) » Mon May 08, 2006 6:11 pm

Destined to join Baroja Rioja Seleccion as a favored red party wine?
I've opened two bottles of this screwcap fruit bomb from the Longbottom family in Padthaway, Australia; Chris Ringland, winemaker. (I paid all of $9.99 plus tax. How do they even get it to the USA from Australia for that?) A blend of 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Shiraz, 11% Merlot weighing in at 15% alcohol by volume. Very dark opaque purple wine. Scents full of ripe dark berries (black currant, blackberries.) Juicy, flavorful wine. The fruit masks the plentiful alcohol with luscious berry nuances. Had with beef stew and with bacon. A little of the Shiraz pepper reveals itself but the lack of tannins is surprising for the amount of Cabernet Sauvignon present in the blend. The C.S. probably dominates but it does reflect the blend of red varieties and would not be mistaken for a Bordeaux. Feels like extracted particles are present but is still an enjoyable, quaffable wine (for those like me who can be attracted to both Old World and New World wines). Recommended as an inexpensive party wine or for those who enjoy the occasional New World fruit bomb. Not overly oaked.