The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Friday Troll: What's the most expensive wine you hated

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Friday Troll: What's the most expensive wine you hated

by Lou Kessler » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:09 pm

[quote="

Now, how many good people did I offend with this?[/quote]

None! You don't know any good people. Now go back to watching your children.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:16 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:[quote="

Now, how many good people did I offend with this?

None! You don't know any good people. Now go back to watching your children.[/quote]

That is heartening, Lou. Of course, I meant those I don't know. Since becoming a father, I've been so removed and so many fine new names have popped up all over the wine internet that I can't help but wonder... :twisted:
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:17 pm

SFJoe wrote: 2005 Ramonet Montrachet.

Do you feel that way about Ramonet in general? Or just this Montrachet.
no avatar
User

Manuel Camblor

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

New York, NY

by Manuel Camblor » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:37 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
SFJoe wrote: 2005 Ramonet Montrachet.

Do you feel that way about Ramonet in general? Or just this Montrachet.

Oh, shit, I'd forgotten about that one! It was a very disappointing wine.

I'd hesitate to speak for the great SFJoe, but I would imagine he won't write off Ramonet just on the banality and unstructuredness of that particular absurdly expensive bottle.
Best,

LL
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Manuel Camblor wrote:I won't even go into Australia, or any of those pricier varietally-correct (as long as we're talking varieties of oak) Argentinians and Chileans.

Oh, come on. Most of our crap's not that expensive. Most of the ones that are only got to that price level because of Parker's review - that's hardly a true indication of 'expensive wine'. I'd have thought the nouveau-Bordeaux and cult Cali wines are twice the price of any of the turbo-juice that comes out of McLaren Vale, surely.

Lucky for us, there seems to be a prevailling opinion among the louder voices of US wine criticism that the best reds Australia makes (or almost only decent reds) come from McLaren Vale or Barossa. Which is good, because it helps to keep demand and price pressure off a lot of good wines from other regions. Sure, availability of them ain't great in north America, but you can buy the rest of the world's wines so much cheaper than we can, so it seems only fair!
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:58 pm

Excluding bottles that were corked or OTH, maybe a crappy '00 CnDP for $25. Most of what I open has some redeeming virtue, so I can't say that I hate them.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:00 pm

Hate is a tough word but most of the cult cabs I have been served particularly Bryant, all too juicy, maybe drank too young. I have never had an OPUS that made any sense to me. I would put these in "not impressive" rather than hate. I have also not been impressed with the '89 Cos but certainly will drink it. Wait, hate, I have one, Beringer Chard, oak, oak, oak, butter, butter, butter, DNIM.
Walt
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:17 am

To SF Joe--haven't had the infamous? 2005 Ramonet Montrachet but I have had tastes (not my purchase) of several vintages of Montrachet that were exquisitely balanced and among my favorite dry white wine experiences ever. I think THOSE are the ones the rest of the world wants to emulate with Chardonnay (but probably can't because of the terroir factor.)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:46 am

wrcstl wrote:Hate is a tough word but most of the cult cabs I have been served particularly Bryant, all too juicy, maybe drank too young. I have never had an OPUS that made any sense to me. I would put these in "not impressive" rather than hate. I have also not been impressed with the '89 Cos but certainly will drink it. Wait, hate, I have one, Beringer Chard, oak, oak, oak, butter, butter, butter, DNIM.
Walt

Walt, I agree with your caveat: those CalCabs and CalChards bore me to tears, but don't really rise to the level of DNPIM (as they clearly do for some others). Perhaps the problem is that I actually like blueberry milkshakes. :lol: I have had a few truly flawed wines, but none that cost much money.

Mark Lipton
Previous