The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Nothing to see here - 2004 Pio Cesare Barbera d'Alba

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Nothing to see here - 2004 Pio Cesare Barbera d'Alba

by Saina » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Tonight I had a rustic dinner at home: lamb meatballs with a touch of mint and harissa. This cried out for Musar, but I can't drink that always, so I opened up what should have worked well - Barbera. But this wasn't too nice. I really like Barbera, but I hate that I can't get properly tangy examples here in Alko. :(

This is a wine that is mostly memorable for being so unmemorable. It is too international in style to see any typicity yet too acidic and "bright" to really be called international - rather this sits firmly in middle of these two stereotypes of wine. I found it excessively boring. Sorry for the harsh words if anyone is a fan (which I can understand as it does have many lovable qualities if you have tastes different to mine).

• 2004 Pio Cesare Barbera d'Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Alba, Barbera d'Alba (8/25/2007)
    Red toned nose with too much vanillary oak. The palate has nice, bright fruit and bright acidity but the oak really does not suit the wine. Not to my taste as I feel that Barbera should be tangy and vibrant - this was soft and oaky.

Posted from CellarTracker