The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pinon Rose Bubbly- Damn!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Pinon Rose Bubbly- Damn!

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:14 am

Last night Betsy readied some tuna steaks for grilling, to be accompanied by escarole sauteed with yellow and chile peppers, and leftover barley/mushroom. I tend to like reds with grilled tuna, but the spiciness of the escarole dish gave me pause. When I stepped into cellar there was a bottle of the NV Pinon Touraine Rose Brut staring at me. Unconventional, but it might work. And work it did. Besides being a good match, it was a smashing wine. Great strawberry and bitter cherry fruit, dry dry dry. Brilliant bright acidiity, a somewhat restrained petillance (I was serving in stems, not flutes), great length. Betsy said "this is GOOD." And she was right. Chalky mineral, some floral notes on nose with time. After dinner we just stayed on patio and killed the whole bottle. I announced maybe it was best to place my order for more before I did dishes, she had no objections. But......I go to Chambers Street Wine site- it's not there! I check with Winesearcher- it only shows at CSW! Ack, it sold out in last couple days, as my 2 bottles sat in cellar untasted for 2 weeks. Damn! I wrote CSW in case they're getting more in, but hope is faint, woe is me. Not often I think of a $20 wine as an A-.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency