The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Yet another note on the "Poncie" Fleurie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Yet another note on the "Poncie" Fleurie

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 am

My turn to cook last night, and I went with a chicken mixed grill- sausages with spinach, fontina, and garlic, with grilled chicken breasts with some bbq sauce Betsy had made earlier. I also grilled some squash, with were tossed with the peppers and oil from previous day's escarole dish. Storebought broccoli rabe for green. I thought about off-dry Riesling (due to the sauce and the sausage), but all my Riesling seems to need time (note to self- buy some drink-now QbA and Kabinett). Eventually went with a lightly chilled Beaujolais, the 2005 Vissoux (Pierre-Marie Chermette) "Poncie" Fleurie. A lovely wine that has gotten lovelier over the last 8 months. Good though not giving at first, really opens with about 30 minutes of air. Floral nose with a little woodsmoke and earth, quite lush on the palate with black cherry fruit that has a little sharp grenadine-ish edge. Ripe but with a clear and delineated acidity at the core. Excellent finish, all one could ask in $17 wine. A-/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: WTN: Yet another note on the "Poncie" Fleurie

by John Tomasso » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:56 am

we had the '05 Cuvee Traditionalle the other night with dinner - I thought it was drinking wonderfully - I also served it with a light chill and it was perfectly lively and refreshing - just what I look for in a red on a warm night.

Many think that the '05s are going to sleep - are you among them? I bought quite a few bottles of 05 Beaujo and hope I can continue to enjoy them without having to worry if they are going into a dumb phase or not.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: Yet another note on the "Poncie" Fleurie

by Florida Jim » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:02 am

John Tomasso wrote:Many think that the '05s are going to sleep - are you among them? I bought quite a few bottles of 05 Beaujo and hope I can continue to enjoy them without having to worry if they are going into a dumb phase or not.

John,
"Going to sleep" may imply a bit more than the wines indicate; I do think some are closing a little or requiring a bit of air to show their best. I suspect very few will close down to the point that they will be unenjoyable - they just may require some decanter time.
Of course, I have been wrong before and there will surely be exceptions. But in the main, I think we will be drinking these when we want, not when they want.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars