The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: low alc, high acid sweetie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: low alc, high acid sweetie

by Saina » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:16 pm

Here is a sweetie. Sometimes it's good to just drink a glass or three of something really, really good - and I happen to think that Tokaji is really, really good. So I opened one of my "prized" bottles simply because it was what was called for tonight.

Oremus Tokaji Ezsencia 1999 3% abv 165€/½ (and so good that I really pity myself for trying to do more university studies, ergo having less hours at work, ergo not being able to treat myself like this on occasion in the future).

Orange/bronze. Spicy, botrytised, honeyed, floral - primary but complex, very true Tokaji aromatics though not in the old/traditional oxidised style. The palate is huge, concentrated, heavy, supersweet (c.500g/l RS) yet oddly enough, light on its feet thanks to extremely high acidity (IIRC, just under 20g/l). The curious thing about the palate is that it has a creamy texture (yet no new oak notes that I can see) yet sparkling acidity - and this polarization (just like a creamy fish dish and an Alsace Riesling) works for my taste perfectly. The aftertaste is endless and eternally changing. If I were like RP and tasted wine with a stopwatch in my hand, I would write stuff like "aftertaste lasts for 60 lifetimes+"

A firm "rocks" on my scale. And very much needed tonight. Very young, but I drank it anyway because I think when I'm 80YO it will still taste very young. One more bottle in the cellar - perhaps to be opened when I retire, lol!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Håvard Flatland

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 pm

Bergen, Norway

Re: WTN: low alc, high acid sweetie

by Håvard Flatland » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:29 am

Oh la la! Looks and sounds good! Did you buy this wine in Finland? Not a bad price.