The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Beer and whiskey guru Michael Jackson has died

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Beer and whiskey guru Michael Jackson has died

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:17 am

Not a wine guy - in fact, he used to reserve some snickers for the fruit of the vine - but Michael Jackson (not the pale pedophile but the hefty, bearded and gregarious British whiskey and beer expert) has passed on, according to news reports. I had occasion to meet Michael now and then on the drinks-writing circuit and always enjoyed him, particularly when he presided over one of his educational "beer breakfasts," which invariably culminated with the seductive dessert, a Guinness and vanilla ice cream float with a brownie submerged in the mug.

Here's a note about him from CelticMalts.com:

This morning the sad news came across from the U.K. that the whisky world has lost a man of unqualified greatness; the wonderful Michael Jackson.

So many people have followed their own whisky trails with the guidance of Michael's amazing Single Malt Guides over the years. His numerous articles in Whisky Magazine and other publications have been everything from amusing to educational and have given so many of us the true insider's view we so appreciate.

Michael was one of the gentlest and most generous souls imaginable and anyone who has met him was touched by his kindness and patience. It is hard to imagine how many times in his life he had to answer the same questions over and over when approached by awed 'fans'. Yet he always did so without missing a beat or showing anything but the utmost interest in both his questioner and the topics raised.

Please take a moment today and raise a glass to Michael. I thank him deeply for all that he has given to so many. His knowledge and skill was unmatched and he will be missed and loved for a very long time. This tireless man now rests and we all benefit from his labours of love over the years.

To Michael! Cheers..
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Beer and whiskey guru Michael Jackson has died

by Robert J. » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:01 am

Sad news indeed, Robin. I gleaned much useful information from Michael's publishings. He will be sorely missed in the community. Though I rarely drink these days I may have to pop one of my last two homebrews and lift a glass to the man.

Cheers indeed, Michael! May you journey safely to the fields of barley beyond.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:08 am

Cheers indeed! Mr. Jackson's malt guides have been the bibles that I've used over the years. His "Beer Hunter" series is also wonderful.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:21 am

Thank you for the news, Robin. I only have one of his books - a large-format book on beer. I love the writing style and the photographs, it's a classic. I will raise a glass to him this evening.
JP
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

by Alan A. » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:04 pm

I will open my last St. Bernardus Abt 12 750 ml and raise a pint to the "Bard of Beer."
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:52 pm

Very sad to read this..... Im a great fan of his work and avid reader of his books.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina