The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Judge throws out Indiana no-shipping law!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Judge throws out Indiana no-shipping law!

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:30 pm

Another loss for the wholesale lobby!

<b>Ruling: Indiana's wine-sales law unconstitutional</b>
IndyStar.com Business
4:32 PM August 30, 2007

A federal judge has ruled unconstitutional an Indiana law that essentially bars most online and phone transactions by out-of-state businesses that ship wine to Hoosiers.

The law is unconstitutional because it bars wineries that possess wholesale privileges in other states from seeking a Direct Wine Seller's Permit in Indiana, according to a 71-page ruling issued late Wednesday by Judge John D. Tinder of the U.S. District Court in Indianapolis.

The judge also ruled the law is unconstitutional because it requires the initial transaction to be made in person between customers and permit holders before a Direct Wine Seller's Permit holder may ship its products directly to an Indiana resident.

The ruling requires David L. Heath, chairman of the Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission, stop enforcing the law.

Several years ago, another group of wine consumers represented by two of the same attorneys in this action, brought a similar suit that was ultimately unsuccessful, the ruling said. The Seventh Circuit ruled that Indiana could prohibit the direct shipment of wines to Indiana residents.

"Since then, the legal landscape has changed," the ruling said. "In 2005, the Supreme Court held that a state could not discriminate against out-of-state-wineries by prohibiting them from shipping wine directly to consumers if the state's laws allow in-state wineries to do so."

The Supreme Court also ruled in 2005 that the 21st Amendment, which repealed Prohibition but allowed states to regulate the sale and distribution of alcohol, did not override the requirements of the commerce clause of the Constitution.

Story in The Indianapolis Star
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Judge throws out Indiana no-shipping law!

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:41 pm

The decision and a good summary appears here, Robin:

Indiana Wine Blog.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:59 pm

About time a semblence of sanity prevailed with your draconian "anti-free-trade" shipping laws.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:38 am

Robin Garr wrote:The ruling requires David L. Heath, chairman of the Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission, stop enforcing the law.

(my former mayor)

Hot damn, Robin! Thanks for the news. Think Sam's will ship to me now?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:56 am

Robin,
Judge Tinder was recently nominated to the 7th US Ciruit Court of Appeals. I view that as good news for wine lovers based solely upon this decision.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:58 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Hot damn, Robin! Thanks for the news. Think Sam's will ship to me now?

I sure hope so, Mark! If this holds, I might be able to get some people who don't ship to Kentucky to ship to friends in nearby New Albany for me. Yessss! ;)

Sam's might be a bad example, though, since a court in ... Wisconsin? ... pulled a sting that made them one of the Web's earliest victims of state wine-shipping stings. They may want to wait until Indiana writes formal enabling regs, and I'm sure the crafty wholesalers will be playing a role there.

On the other hand, it never hurts to ask ...
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:09 pm

That might have been Michigan, Robin, back in 2000 when our now governor was then our attorney general. This from a 2/16/00 news article:

Michigan Attorney General Jennifer M. Granholm said the charges were a result of a sting operation against two online merchants in Illinois, Sam's Wine and Liquor of Chicago, and Internet Wine & Spirits of Fairview Heights, Illinois. UPS had been the shipper in both cases, violating several statutes of the state's liquor control code.

"In the virtual world, the anonymity of the Internet removes the face-to-face relationship that a merchant and a customer can establish in the real world," Granholm said. "While these companies have every right to do business, e-retailers in the virtual world must be held to the same standards of legal responsibility as their counterparts in the real world."

Granholm's office also has sent a notice of intended actions to four other online liquor vendors in Illinois and California.
-OW
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:31 pm

Ruling: Indiana's wine-sales law unconstitutional

Day light savings time and now out of state wine sales! Looks like we're about to join the 20th century. I'm thinking about selling the old horse and buggy, and buying on of them fancy automobiles I've heard so much about.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:17 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Ruling: Indiana's wine-sales law unconstitutional

Day light savings time and now out of state wine sales! Looks like we're about to join the 20th century.

And just in time for the 21st!

I'm thinking about selling the old horse and buggy, and buying on of them fancy automobiles I've heard so much about.

Our home, built ca. 1895, does indeed have a carriage house and not a garage. Maybe I should buy that old horse and buggy off of you?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51 am

FWIW, today's editorial in the Indianapolis Star came out in favor of interstate shipping.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:39 am

You know, Robin, the anti-shipping laws in place both in the U.S. and Canada are ripe for removal; I believe that it is a mere case of legislative inertia and wholesaler pressure (and a lot of cynicism) that is holding them still in place. I also think that the "sting" operations are cynical because it is doubtful that those carrying them out are of a uniformly Puritanical mindset; they are just cranking the wheels of the system according to what has been written on paper. And even then, are such operations carried out uniformly and in every applicable case? Probably not. So, more cynicism again.

I think that the time is now for a complete liberalization of inter-jurisdictional wine trade. I really think that laws like this have no place in a democracy - much less an increasingly globalized world. I have no problems with jurisdictions collecting taxes on such transactions, but for heaven's sake, they should at least be legal everywhere.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:52 am

Thanks for posting the editorial from the Star. The comments on the editorial are very revealing about the diversity of opinion on this subject.

One fellow seems especially knowledgeable on the legalities in Indiana:

Unfortunately, there's still a law on the books that will prevent many wineries from shipping here. An adult Indiana resident may buy no more than 24 cases of wine per calendar year directly from wineries, and if he does it's *the winery* that gets in trouble and loses its license to sell wine in Indiana. It's impossible for a winery to know how much wine consumers have purchased from other sources, but hey — when did patent absurdity ever prevent a bill from becoming law?
For more information on direct shipping, surf on over to ShipCompliant ( http://tinyurl.com/2d46vm ). And if you want to see what an Indiana law looks like after the lobbyists and special interests have worked their magic on it, see if you can make it through HEA 1016 without feeling your head start to throb: http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2006/HE/H... .