The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Emmanuel Darnaud Crozes--yet Again

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2001 Emmanuel Darnaud Crozes--yet Again

by Redwinger » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:34 pm

2001 Emmanuel Darnaud, Les Tres Chene, Crozes-Hermitage
A lovely honest Syrah. I've been working my way through a 6 pak of this over the past few years and it has consistently amazed me. That is, until the bottle I had earlier this year (note here). Well, I'm glad to report the wine is not going downhill and is still robust.
This is more like it. Lovely nose of bacon/black olives/smoked/roasted meat. Just a touch of 'yard. Plenty of dark Syrah fruit with plenty of acidity to make it refreshing. A rustic wine never to be confused with anything sleek, sexy, modern or over-manipulated. Just an pure expression of Syrah.
One bottle left to try next year if I can keep my hands off of it.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: 2001 Emmanuel Darnaud Crozes--yet Again

by Marc D » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks for the note. Crozes Hermitage and St Joseph wines are very much on my radar these days, as Cote Rotie and Hermitage are priced beyond the realm of everyday drinkers.

I was just reading The Fine Wine review where it mentions that 2001 was Darnaud's first vintage. Apparently, according to Claude, Darnaud worked with Bernard Faury and will succeed Faury at the estate in Hemitage and St Joseph.

Have you tried any subsequent vintages from Darnaud?

Best,
Marc
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:51 pm

I had the 2004 Croze-Hermitage Les trois Chenes from Darnaud last night (and the 2005 just arrived stateside). It is wonderful stuff -Brooding black cherry fruit, cola, fennel and cumin with smoked beef and a healthy dose of blacktop while holding on the the famous sweaty-stone and violet aromas. I usually don't go in for wines of such power, but it is balanced and well done (if reductively). It is nice to see that in an ocean of absolutely undrinkable Croze-Hermitage, there are some gunslingers raising the bar. 12,8% alc. $23
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:43 am

Marc D wrote:Thanks for the note. Crozes Hermitage and St Joseph wines are very much on my radar these days, as Cote Rotie and Hermitage are priced beyond the realm of everyday drinkers.

I was just reading The Fine Wine review where it mentions that 2001 was Darnaud's first vintage. Apparently, according to Claude, Darnaud worked with Bernard Faury and will succeed Faury at the estate in Hemitage and St Joseph.

Have you tried any subsequent vintages from Darnaud?

Best,
Marc

Marc,
Thanks for the additional information on Darnaud taking over for Faurie at some point. I had heard of some connection between the two, but couldn't recall the specifics.
I have not tried any other vintages of the Daraud, but a friend whose palate I respect has tasted the 2002 and the 2003. IIRC, he considered the 2002"good" considering the difficulties of the vintage. He initially described the 2003 as discombobulated, but found that it melded nicely after a year so in the cellar.
Hope this helps.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!