The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

"Pure Discovery"! ???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

"Pure Discovery"! ???

by Bob Ross » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:30 pm

Sue, I need help here. I never really cottoned to ‘The Riches of a Clean, Green Land’. New Zealand wines never sprang to mind.

But "Pure Discovery"???

What are you folks thinking?

Maybe looking at an upside down moon affects, well, the way folks think in other more northern climes.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU0707/S00569.htm

My own personal view is the PR folks got paid awfully well for something that didn't test well with this lover of New Zealand and its wines.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

AlexR

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:28 am

Bordeaux

Re: "Pure Discovery"! ???

by AlexR » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:20 am

Bob,

I read the link and, while I don't think the slogan is wonderful, I don't think it's poor either.

"Purity" goes along with the idea of a relativiely underpopulated and unpolluted nation.

"Discovery" - well, I have only had a few N.Z. whites along the way and really know the country's wines very well. There is an element of learning and excitement here.

Am I alone in thinking the theme is not that bad?

Best regards,
Alex R.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:48 am

Yeah, I don`t know!! There is enough choice for the consumer out there already and good prices too. Lots of advertising and tent cards as a back up.
NZ SB sells well at the Grill and is recognised as a good food wine and consistent in quality. Wine stores have plenty
Are we about to see a version of marketing like Yellow Tail or the Painted Turtle?!!! "Pure Discovery" seems tad more upscale eh!!
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:00 pm

Bob,
I like the new branding, although very similar to so many other brands in NZ - white / silver fern on black - so it's distinctly NZ. And the name, I think the tourism people were using something like this too (100% Pure New Zealand).

There are a lot of drinkers around the world still to discover NZ wine, and there is also a whole lot more about NZ wine to be discovered by drinkers who already know Sauv Blanc and Pinot Noir - the two biggest export wines.

I also find a lot of purity in the wines.

http://www.wineoftheweek.com/blog/blog2 ... m#20070731

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:47 am

Sue.

I have been reading about Montana`s Terroir Series. Is it just Pinot Noir or can we expect some SB as well?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:39 am

Bob P.,
I don't know what you were reading, but I've wrote a bit about these very wines on my blog yesterday,and said, "The Terroir Series was introduced in 2005 with sauvignon blanc, gewurztraminer and chardonnay produced to show sub-regional differences."
The three Terroir Series Pinot Noirs, which are about regional differences, is on the verge of release.
Cheers,
Sue