The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite large Burgundy negoçiant

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite large Burgundy negoçiant

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:29 am

Tying in with this month's Wine Focus on the large Burgundy negoçiant Louis Jadot and its wines, our CompuServe/Netscape poll this week asks for your favorite negoçiant. The ballot includes major players Jadot, Bouchard, Joseph Drouhin, Louis Latour and Mommessin, and of course the write-in option for other choices.

<b>Click here to vote</b>
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: Favorite large Burgundy negoçiant

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 am

I voted Jadot because it was a Tuesday, but would have voted Drouhin on a Wed. :)
Seriously, that was a tough one. I definitely would choose Drouhin as my favorite negociant for reds, but I like Jadot's also. I think Jadot's Cote d'Or whites are better for my tastes by a pretty good margin, and that tipped scales for me.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:33 pm

I have too limited experience to really participate, but I thoroughly enjoy Drouhin's Oregon Pinot projects, so....
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:46 pm

Drouhin. So elegant and pure and terroiry in the reds. I usually have a difficult time enjoying white Burgundy, but I have also appreciated some of what they do with whites (esp. their Clos des Mouches and Puligny "Folatières"). I have also liked their Bojo Crus quite a bit.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:30 pm

I voted Bouchard, as long as it's Pere et Fils instead of that other one (Aine). Really only because I think they are unmatched for Corton-Charlemagne and Chevalier-Montrachet (by other Negs mind you). and I really like the Beaune Greves L'Enfant. Quality is surely on the rise since that Henriot money got tossed around. A few years ago I wouldn't have touched the wines with Robins lips :lol: !!! It's nice to see a once proud, then guttered estate return to form. Plus, there are not many a Domaine so thouroughly entrenched (literally) in the history of Beaune.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:11 am

The question is favorite negotiant. I notice that some folks are relying on domaine wines to make their point.

Different situation.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The question is favorite negotiant. I notice that some folks are relying on domaine wines to make their point.

Different situation.

If the question is which negociant makes better Village-X or Bourgogne Rouge, then you're right. What sets Drouhin or Bouchard Pere et Fils apart is the fact that they count great terroir among their vast holdings and buying power (in the case of Bouchard that includes all of William Fevre as well.) Which negociant makes the best Village level Gevrey-Chambertin or Meursault? I don't really care.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:00 pm

I voted Drouhin (of course) though to some extent it's because I'm much more familiar with their wines. While their domaine wines are almost universally excellent I also enjoy many of their negociant bottlings. Off the top of my head the village Chambolle and their Clos St. Denis are both top notch.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:27 pm

In terms of breadth and depth I have to pick Jadot. I have rarely been disappointed by a Jadot wine; red or white, Cru and non-Cru. I can't say I dislike any of the others, though I have limited experience with Mommessin.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Håvard Flatland

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:48 pm

Bergen, Norway

by Håvard Flatland » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:41 am

I was thinking of Nicholas Potel, does he count? Is he big enough? He has some nice village-wines at an reasonable price.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:56 am

Alex Gambal would get my pick for small negociant. Verget hits gold sometimes as well.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:08 pm

I voted Jadot almost without thinking but then quite a few unlisted others with good quality reputation came to mind -

Potel
Laurent
Faiveley
Chanson
O. Leflaive
Champy
Camille Giroud
Antonin Rodet
Verget
Duboeuf (if Beaujolais may be included)

Chanson has been though a very bad patch in recent decades (there was even some fraud) but under Bollinger's ownership has staged a remarkable recovery and now boasts an excellent as well as wide range. The others are more specialized and sometimes controversial, e.g. Laurent and Verget, but none of their bottles would disgrace demanding tables.
Tim York