The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Walk-around Tastings - Bottle Control

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Walk-around Tastings - Bottle Control

by Bill Spohn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:52 pm

The discussion about how to use or not use tasting notes thats segued into people telling you what you will taste at a tasting got me thinking about other things about wine tastings (public walk-around or at winery sorts) that tend to rile me.

The one that I am a bit ambivalent about is who pours the wine. Sometimes the pourer is in rapt conversation with someone else and I like to just take the bottle and pour for myself. Some of them take umbrage, perhaps because they need to control amounts and some wine hogs pour themselves almost full glasses if allowed the chance, but I invariably pour less than the pourers do as I hate waste and don't need more than a small aliquot to assess the wines

OTOH, I don't want to waste my time by standing there listening to them ramble on with another taster, so at the least my stab at the bottle usually gets me a pour anyway...

Another thing that does rile me (no ambivalence on this one) is a pourer despotically deciding that you can't taste their wine after tasting something else that, in their eyes, should have come later in tasting sequence than what they are pouring.

I've been tasting reds and come across a white I'd missed in a previous pass through and have rinsed my glass or got a new one in order to taste the white, only to be told that as I am on reds I won't be poured any white, so there! I feel like saying that I am quite capable of giving their wine a reasonable assessment at that stage in my tasting, or I wouldn't have asked for any. What I have FELT like saying is that I am the buying agent for X Co. chain of restaurants, and as I will not be allowed to taste their wine I guess I'll have to buy 100 cases of the white I'd rated best without giving their wine a chance....never had the gall to say that of course. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

A.B. Drury

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:53 pm

NM / KY

Re: Walk-around Tastings - Bottle Control

by A.B. Drury » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:40 pm

The gall, or the credibility? :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Walk-around Tastings - Bottle Control

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Nice one Bill. I just tell them I represent a chain of restaurants, which in a way I do!! Most reps around here know me too well, its the out-of-towners I hit with that one!!!!!!