The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Pinots: Cristom, Talley & Alex Gambal

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2005 Pinots: Cristom, Talley & Alex Gambal

by Jason Hagen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:54 pm

2005 Cristom Pinot Noir Mt. Jefferson Cuvee Willamette Valley
Had this over 2 days. Oh wow…what great aromatics. Showing its stem inclusion. On the second day there was more toasty oak showing. This is very young and behaving like it. Big fruit and big acid with a small touch of sweet tannin. With its youthful changes, the wine had put on some weight on day two. It also showed a slightly more funky earthy side. Thankfully, the still present acid kept a nice balance on the wine. This wine reminded me of a Brewer Clifton … but at $28, I found much easier on my bank account. My initial guess would be to drink this over the next 9-12 months or lay it down for 3-5 years. 91 pts.

2005 Talley Pinot Noir Estate Arroyo Grande
After seeing some positive notes about the 05 and with the arrival of the Talley mailer, I thought I had better pop one of these. I was hoping for something a little more delicate. The nose was so intense. Dark fruit and a touch of alcohol. I honestly would not have guessed this as a Talley or an 05. The palate was a bit overblown as well. It lacked depth and complexity. Finish was short. Sounds pretty dire doesn’t it. Well here is to hoping this wine can sort itself out and integrate. There certainly was a lot of concentration and despite all I say, the wine did have a sense of balance … despite acting clumsy. Because of the concentration, underlying acid and …. being a Talley, I will withhold judgment for at 2 years.

2005 Alex Gambal Bourgogne Vevee les Deus Papis
I guess I sipped this one down and didn’t make many notes. This was another wonderful 2005. Great approachable fruit. Cranberries and raspberries. A really juicy, ready to go Pinot. Nice finishing tannins that hold the wine together. 89 pts

Cheers,
Jason