The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Recommendations on German/Austrian REDS?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Recommendations on German/Austrian REDS?

by Brian K Miller » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:21 pm

Our next wine party will be in October, which means (cliches ahead) Oktoberfest! I have a good range of Rieslings and Gewurtzes, but can anyone give some recommendations about German/Austrian REDS we can try? A friend will bring beer, of course, and I will bring ringers just because I love Cabs, but....in the interest of our theme!
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: Recommendations on German/Austrian REDS?

by Bill Hooper » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:39 pm

Wonderful Austrian red wine producers include, but are not limited to: Poeckl (Love it all), Paul Achs (Pinot Noir), Iby, Umathum (Great single vineyard Zweigelt, Blaufrankisch and Pinot Noir), Hillinger (albeit BIG wines), Pittnauer, Preisinger (Claus), Renner, Feiler-Artinger, Steininger (for affordable Zweigelt). Many people too like Glaetzer from Carnuntum. For German Spaetburgunder (though expensive) I like, Deutzerhof, August Kesseler, Adenauer, Meyer-Naekel. One of the most versatile German red wine producers is Philipp Kuhn for off-beat varieties like Sankt Laurent. All of them should be available in the U.S. (in tiny quantities) except maybe Kuhn.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:04 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Our next wine party will be in October, which means (cliches ahead) Oktoberfest! I have a good range of Rieslings and Gewurtzes, but can anyone give some recommendations about German/Austrian REDS we can try? A friend will bring beer, of course, and I will bring ringers just because I love Cabs, but....in the interest of our theme!

If you have time, you might try to get some stuff from my friend in Lodi. Check out his website: Welcome to Mokelumne Glen Vineyards. Go the section on his wines and check out his German collection. He has a Kerner, a Lemberger, a Dornfelder, and a funky, very sweet blend called Dreirebe. And I don't know what else he might have cooking. His experimental vineyard included (last time I saw him) about 27 different varieties.

He doesn't have a tasting room, but you can try his stuff over at the Lodi Wine and Visitors' Center. You can also buy it over the web. Or, time permitting, maybe you and I can go out there and visit him.

By the way, there's a picture of me :oops: in his photo gallery.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:19 pm

Thanks, guys. I checked out the new JV Wines in Napa today, and they had a Sankt Laurent that sounded intriguing.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:17 am

Let me add to Bill's list as top producers (with their top wines in brackets): Gerhard Markowitsch, Göttlesbrunn (Rosenberg, "M1"), Gernot Heinrich, Gols (Gabarinza, Salzberg), J. Heinrich (Blaufränkisch Goldberg, Elegy, Cupido) and Gesellmann (Opus Eximium, "G"), both in Deutschkreutz, Kollwentz, Großhöflein (Cabernet Sauvignon, Steinzeiler) and Ernst Triebaumer, Rust (Blaufränkisch Marienthal).

Btw, it's Gl_a_tzer, not Gl_ae_tzer.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Barry Fowden

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:48 am

Germany

by Barry Fowden » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:37 am

Brian,
Not sure of availability where you live...
but check my blog...I drink lots of German & Austrian reds....

Regards

Barry

http://barrys-wine.blogspot.com/
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:13 am

Austria: I like the reds from Feiler-Artinger (Bill mentioned above), I know winemonger.com has some. I've also liked Kollwentz who Michael P. mentioned. In general I personally prefer Blaufrankisch and Zweigelt to St. Laurent.

I'm sure there are good German reds, but I can't remember one that I felt was a good value at their rather steep starting price point. That probably has more to do with what is imported and distributed in NY than overall quality.