The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent meals

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent meals

by Florida Jim » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:20 am

Pasta with spinach and chicken in a light cream sauce:
2001 Hirtzberger, Riesling Singerriedel:
A honeyed, rich bouquet with white stone fruit and warm stone accents; deep, pure and rich in the mouth with good cut, intensity and sustain. A serious but delicious bottle. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Vin Davino and about $47 wholesale on release; I’d buy it again.
Chosen to cut the cream sauce and soften the bite of the greens. It worked to do both but the flavors are not as good a match as I’d like. It’s good with the meal but not memorable.

Pasta with chicken and pesto:
2002 Overnoy/Houillon, Arbois Pupillin Poulsard:
Pomegranate, earth, old clothes kind of nose – odd but interesting; initially a bit thin but it fleshes out over an evening and becomes a bright, lyrical wine with great complexity and sustain. Idiosyncratic and certainly not for everyone but, for me, this is knockin’ on heaven’s door. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $21; I bought plenty.
2004 Tenuta della Terre Nerre, Etna Rosso Calderara Sottana:
Lifted red fruit aromas with melon and earth tones; medium weight and intensely flavored although it seems lighter in the mouth, layered, elegant and of medium length. Another unusual wine but one that captivates me. 14% alcohol, imported by Skurnik and about $30, full retail; I bought plenty.
Both of these wines went well with the dish. The Rosso was the riper of the two and brought out a sweetness in the chicken. The Arbois was drier and seemed to enhance the pesto portion. Either would be a good choice but I would keep in mind that these are distinctive, character driven wines and will not be everyone’s glass of vino, with or without food.

Roast pork, sweet potato soufflé and collards:
2003 L’hiver, Syrah:
This is from Mendocino and a Copain product although that name does not appear on the label; plum and meat tones on the nose with some spice; fleshy in the mouth with flavors that echo the nose and show some oak, moderate concentration and length. A fairly straight-forward rendition with perhaps a touch too much wood – still a nice bottle. 14.1% alcohol and $28 in a restaurant; I’d buy it again.
Went quite well with the meal and it surprised me that the collards didn’t fight with it. This wine clearly can go with a number of differing dishes; very versatile.

Pasta with chick peas, onions and feta:
2002 Clos de la Roilette, Fleurie:
Expansive red fruit and talcum powder nose; deep, supple delivery that is layered, distinctive, well concentrated and balanced; long, clean finish. Sensational juice at a good place but I think this will have lots of good places during its life. 13% alcohol, imported by Louis/Dressner and about $15 on release; ‘wish I’d have bought more.
Excellent with the dish as the flavors are not too intense for a fairly plain dish and the textures match well. Also mighty fine without food.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Recent meals

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:33 am

Sweet potato Souffle..how did that work out? Very ambitious.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:03 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Sweet potato Souffle..how did that work out? Very ambitious.

Nice.
It is a restaurant preparation with pecans studding the surface. And yet, although it looked like dessert, it wasn't that sweet.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:12 pm

Bob, we regularly make a sweet potato souffle, since Janet loves the taste of sweet potatos. I use the basic Cooks recipe, with several modifications to cut down on sweetness. The "secret" -- cook the sweet potatoes on a very low heat for a long time before mashing them -- I taste from time to time to get the desired level of sweetness. [I've read somewhere that slow heating of sweet potatoes makes them much sweeter and it seems to be true.]

Here's the basic recipe; bracketed amounts reduced or eliminated in my cooking:

3 c. mashed sweet potatoes
[1/2 tsp. salt]
[1/3] stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
[1 c. sugar] [sugar is rarely necessary, and then sparingly]
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk

Mix all ingredients together and pour into greased baking dish. Add topping.

TOPPING:

[1 c.] brown sugar [half a cup maxiumu]
1 c. chopped nuts
1/3 c. flour
1/3 stick butter

Melt butter and mix all ingredients thoroughly and sprinkle over souffle. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:15 pm

Thanks for the note on Etna Rosso, Jim. I've tried to find a wine from those slopes that I like -- somehow the lava encrusted bottles we tried on our trip to Italy bring back bad memories with each new attempt.

I'll give this one a try -- it's available at the Endless Vines in town, I see.

Thanks. Bob
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:21 pm

Bob,
It is an interesting wine and, as mentioned, an anomoly in my experience. But then, how much narello mascalese does one have in the cellar?
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:34 pm

Jim,

According to Jancis Robinson, probably more than Nerello Cappuccio. :)

I'm looking forward to trying it. Bob
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:34 pm

Nice notes. Why oh why didn't I buy more '02 Coudert?
I just can't get as excited over the Poulsard as you Therapy folks.
Betsy makes a pasta with spinach and cream sauce (sometimes with chicken, sometimes w/o), I've hd good luck with very crisp Chardonnay (Macon or Chablis, not from 2003!).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:37 pm

Seems I do have one more '02 Coudert/Roillete regular Fleurie. Do you think any benefit in waiting?
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Seems I do have one more '02 Coudert/Roillete regular Fleurie. Do you think any benefit in waiting?

Let's put it this way, I doubt you will be disappointed if you open it any time in the next ten years.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:16 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Seems I do have one more '02 Coudert/Roillete regular Fleurie. Do you think any benefit in waiting?

Yes, wait until I'm next in NYC before opening :lol:

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:10 pm

I would say a BIG benefit, based upon a recent 1998. The 2002's are approachable now, but that 1998 was truly special a couple of weeks ago. If you have one 2002 left, I say hold for a few more years.

Best,
Cliff
no avatar
User

Cliff Rosenberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:06 pm

New York City

by Cliff Rosenberg » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I just can't get as excited over the Poulsard as you Therapy folks.
[....].

How do you feel about Trousseau?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:04 pm

Bob, Bob and Bob here!! Can get pretty confusing with all these Bobs. When is BobH showing up....LOL!