The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Donadei, Cambon Pelouse

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Donadei, Cambon Pelouse

by Jenise » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:54 pm

A few weeks ago I posted on two extremely disappointing bottles of Donadei (Washington state) Cabernet, an 00 and an 01, both of which were purchased direct from the winery and respectively have bit/are biting the dust a bit too early. So yesterday when I discovered I still had an 01 Donadei merlot in the cellar, I yanked it immediately.

Forget all the usual suppositions about cabernet and merlot and the relative lasting qualities of either--where the cab is tanking, the merlot is shining bright. Perfect ripeness blends red and black fruits without verging into that scary blueberry place, and a solid core of red-dirt minerality gives it depth and lushness. The wine is big bodied without being extracted, and the oak has integrated well. I can see the connection between it and Bill Spohn's 94 Leonetti last week. Drinks beautifully out of the bottle but it will hold here for a long while, no hurry.

Marc D mentioned recently that the 2000 Cambon Pelouse, Haut Medoc is in a nice place right now, and so we opened that too when dinner with company turned into a game of hearts. And he's right--delicious black fruit, savory nuances, fairly dry after the merlot but nicely so. I would guess it has further improvement ahead of it--there was an empty spot on the midpalate (we didn't decant) that should fill out in a ripe year like 2000.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Donadei, Cambon Pelouse

by Bill Spohn » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:59 pm

Ahem - tha 'cab is tanking'....Image

Tell me it is that 80 deg. cellar of yours....please?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:17 pm

80 degrees, ha! Like your laundry ro--er, overflow space.

:)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:49 pm

The 2000 cab we opened yesterday was just fine. You must have had a bad bottle.

And only the early drinking wines get 'cellared' outside of the real cellar! Image