The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Salomon Undhof Wieden Tradition Grüner Veltliner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:38 am

Cross-posting this from the (old?) Netscape forum:

12% alc. Brilliantly clear, deep straw colour with greenish-gold glints and a lot of youthful pétillance. Plenty of crisp green-apple fruit with every swirl, coupled with a bit of quince and some pineappley esters. Powerfully crisp and acidic on the entry with some more prickly carbonation and an utterly bone-dry texture - exactly the way I like all my whites. Intensely nervy, palate-cleansing acidity; plenty of no-nonsense structural firmness. Minerally on the mid-palate with excellent purity and gorgeous dryness. I wish that more of our Eastern North American whites were made in such a style and not in that wimpy, slightly off-dry mould that is so pervasive. Some white-pepper spice here on the mid-palate, though it's in the background; what I get is plenty of zesty grapefruit rind on the mid-palate, just as the finish begins. The finish is short, but this is nevertheless an excellent food wine and palate cleanser.

Grüner Veltliner is one of my favourite white vinifera grapes. There is something so amazingly Austrian and fantastically Central European about it. Although my quintessential match with Grüner is breaded Wiener Schnitzel with veggies and shredded cabbage, I had this one with a pork tenderloin roast and it was excellent.
Last edited by Paul B. on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: TN: 2004 Salomon Undhof Wieden Tradition Grüner Veltline

by Randy Buckner » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:45 am

Grüner Veltliner is one of my favourite white vinifera grapes.

Glad to see you are venturing out. GV is a very versatile wine.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:28 pm

Yup - this one was boldly acidic and powerful wine on the palate. I have always preferred whites with structure and powerful acidity to those that are even just a tad off-dry. My next assignment will be to buy some Chablis and Alsatian dry Muscat (if I can find any in Ontario).
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:46 pm

Hi Paul

I opened an 04 GV from Salomon a few weeks ago and it had a very nifty glass stopper in place of the cork. It was the first time I've run across this. Did your bottle have cork or glass?

Great note on the wine. I haven't had a bad 04 GV yet, most have been good to excellent.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:25 pm

Marc, it was a standard, high-quality solid cork. I didn't know they have some other fancy closure.
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

glass cork

by Dan Donahue » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:08 pm

I just picked up a bottle of '04 Sineann Champoux Cab Franc that comes with a glass cork. I understand that they are resealable. I'm not sure how they age, but it is an interesting alternative.

BTW Loimer basic cuvee GV comes in Stelvin.