The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN] Gilles Bouton 2004 St Aubin 1er Cru (my first Burgundy!)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN] Gilles Bouton 2004 St Aubin 1er Cru (my first Burgundy!)

by MattThr » Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:51 pm

Continuing on my tour of European wine, I visited my local wine emporium and asked them to recommend a reasonably-priced Burgundy. This is what they suggested, on the basis that it's a little heavier than the average Burgundy and perhaps closer to other wines that'd I'd tried.

=====

Wine is unexpectedly pale, almost like blackcurrant squash.

The scent is of Strawberries and an odd, vegetable smell reminiscent of cabbage and perhaps pine.

Immediate flavour on the palate is Strawberry which passes seamlessly into more complex tastes: liquorice, rose petals and a little touch of festive spice. Marginally intrusive tannin but otherwise smooth and soft in the mouth. Medium bodied and medium length finish with a slightly bitter aftertaste not unlike coffee grounds.

I'm struck that this might be nice lightly chilled.

=====

So, my first Burgundy. Certainly nice, but IMO not up to Rioja and Bordeaux I've had in this price bracket. Seems that my tastes might tend toward the heavier wines.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: [WTN] Gilles Bouton 2004 St Aubin 1er Cru (my first Burgundy!)

by Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:16 pm

Matt
Nice TN - for a first taste of the region, I think you express yourself very clearly and it shows there's quite a bit of complexity in the wine.

Burgundy (Pinot) is a tough region to get excited about initially, with the lack of body that would indicate a cheaper wine elsewhere. Some of the leafy / twiggy aspects can be offputting as well.

It may be worth approaching Pinot from a New World perspective first - well it worked for me! Hamilton Russell from S.Africa and Martinborough Vineyards from NZ were the first two pinots to capture my interest - neither are fruit bombs, but they're a little more upfront than much of burgundy. I'm still venturing slowly into burgundy myself, but had a good Gevrey-Chambertin 1989 by Remoissenet recently which gave me a similar enjoyment to that I get out of aged Nebbiolo, so there's potential for me. From recollection I have a 98 Pommard, another of the Gevrey-C's and a 99 Volnay in my stash at the moment, so hardly a red burgundy nut!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:23 pm

Very good note for a first Burgundy, Matt. Well done.

According to WSP, this wine sells around 12 pounds in the UK -- in my experience it is very hard to learn about the glories of Burgundy at this price level. And Bouton's tend to be a bit delicate.

You did very well to find so much in this Burgundy in my opinion. Again, well done.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:11 pm

MattThr wrote:blackcurrant squash..

Don't think I've run across that before, is the color of the wine similar to the outside or the inside of the squash?

As far as the tasting note, bravo, 2004 St Aubin was probably not the easiest wine to satisy desires for heavy wines, but it sounds like you learned something, so that's good.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:06 am

Rahsaan wrote:
MattThr wrote:blackcurrant squash..

Don't think I've run across that before, is the color of the wine similar to the outside or the inside of the squash?

As far as the tasting note, bravo, 2004 St Aubin was probably not the easiest wine to satisy desires for heavy wines, but it sounds like you learned something, so that's good.

I'd read the comment as a reflection on the depth of the colour (i.e. similar to diluted Ribena).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:10 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:the depth of the colour (i.e. similar to diluted Ribena).

Aha, blackcurrant squash the drink! Now I understand.

I was thinking vegetable.
no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

by MattThr » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:13 pm

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. I must admit to being pathetically pleased when I looked up Pinot Noir after I'd written the note and found that strawberries, floral notes, liquorice and "undergrowth" (which I'd identified as cabbage, pine and petals) were well known flavours.

Ian Sutton wrote:It may be worth approaching Pinot from a New World perspective first.

I'll have to try this. Should save a few quid as well :).

According to WSP, this wine sells around 12 pounds in the UK -- in my experience it is very hard to learn about the glories of Burgundy at this price level. And Bouton's tend to be a bit delicate.

The guy in the wine shop intimated that if I wanted a better known producer or area I'd be looking at probably double what this cost, but he thought the St Aubin AOC was pretty good quality for the money. Jancis Robinson also thought it had a good quality/price ratio. So hopefully I've got something reasonably good.

As Ian says I'm thinking of Blackcurrant cordial here. I think this might be a UK/US thing :).