The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good Burgundy isn't always expensive + GV Lamm '06

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Good Burgundy isn't always expensive + GV Lamm '06

by Saina » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:29 pm

• 2005 Joseph Drouhin Côte de Nuits Villages - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Côte de Nuits Villages (9/15/2007)
    13% abv, 16,89€.This is quite a charming wine. The nose is a bit shy even with several hours of air, but still shows a nice Pinosity: sorrel, beetroot and bright yet still darker toned fruit than I expected. The palate is medium-modied, not terribly concentrated, but still very balanced and refreshing and bright in its fruit. It has lovely structure and minerality. I very much like this - and it is good value, too. Probably it isn't much of a surprise but it was very nice with a long braised "Carelian" meat dish of beef, lamb and pork. Though the tannins of the wine could have done with more redness in the meat, the tender flavours of slow cooked meat were wonderful with this wine.
  • 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg Grüner Veltliner Kammerner Lamm - Austria, Niederösterreich, Kamptal, Langenlois (9/5/2007)
    Limpid, only very slightly vanillary despite its oak influence, citrussy and green and Grünery nose. Very full bodied, but with the very high alcohol (14,5%) well integrated. It has good acidity and minerality. Though there is slight oak perceptible, this is still a very nice drink - the aftertaste is intense and has some minerality showing.

Posted from CellarTracker

I was sort of hoping that I wouldn't have read Mr. Pronay's description of the Lamm before getting a taste of this. I have my funny quirks in my tastes, yet I won't deny that I can be influenced by others. I really wonder if what I perceived as slight oak in the GV I would have passed over as imagination had I not read Mr. Pronay's reply to me in another thread? Well, whatever the result, I will probably not buy another bottle of it to age even though it was a good wine. Tasting under the influence may not always mean under the influence of alcohol, lol!!

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

Re: WTN: Good Burgundy isn't always expensive + GV Lamm '06

by Michael Pronay » Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:32 am

Sorry, Otto, I didn't want to set up a prejudice in any way ... :oops:

Btw, "GV Lamm '06" in the subject possibly isn't complete enough, since Willi Bründlmayer also has an excelent GV Lamm bottling. (I thought about the latter when seeing the subject.)
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Michael Pronay wrote:Sorry, Otto, I didn't want to set up a prejudice in any way ... :oops:

Btw, "GV Lamm '06" in the subject possibly isn't complete enough, since Willi Bründlmayer also has an excelent GV Lamm bottling. (I thought about the latter when seeing the subject.)

Your views are always a pleasure to read - that's not the problem - I just hoped that I would have read them after tasting it, not before. The subject line isn't long enough to permit Gobelsburger.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:35 pm

(Grüss Gott, Hr. Prónay!)

Very good point that good Burgundy need not be expensive (though the point contradicts strong prejudices from people who taste too few Burgundies.) Historically, the low-end red Burgundies for example provided most of the interesting inexpensive pinot noir consumed in North America, though few people mention this today.

That the 2005 vintage is relatively expensive is partly compensated by its extraordinary quality (at least what I've seen so far). I bought the 2005 Groffier Bourgogne rouge ("Pinot Noir") on theoretical grounds (and because I often buy Groffier Bourg.-Rouge, and it often ages well). At USD $30 in California it was much more expensive than usual. But this time it not only had encouraging structure, but also was enjoyable young, with rich varietal fruit.

I'd expect the other regionals (CdB, CdN as Otto Nieminen reported, other Bourg.-Rouges, etc) to be similarly strong, and good values from the big négociant firms -- not just Drouhin but Jadot and others).