The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1994 Bodegas Reyes Ribera del Duero Teofilo Reyes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 1994 Bodegas Reyes Ribera del Duero Teofilo Reyes

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:12 pm

1994 Teófilo Reyes Tinto Cosecha Ribera del Duero Spain. 13% alcohol. Carlo Russo, Fort Lee; $25.

I found an over looked bottle of this wine in the cellar last week, 12 years after I purchased it on Parker's recommendation. Here's my first note:

Deep red color; good fruit aroma and taste; good balance of light tannins and fruit; 15 to 20 second finish. 4*.

I wouldn't change a word now except that the color had browned a bit on the edges, and the fruit had developed more nuances. A remarkable wine. Light EGA. 4*+.

Notes:

P91. The winemaker behind the debut vintage of this wine is 72-year old Teofilo Reyes. For two decades (before his retirement in 1994), he was Pesquera's winemaker. After his retirement, he fulfilled a life-long dream - producing his own wine under his name. Only 1000 cases are available of this exceptionally concentrated wine from one of Spain's most legendary winemakers. It is a dark purple-colored wine, with a nose of wonderfully pure scents of black-raspberries, truffles, minerals, smoke, and licorice. The wine, aged in 100% new oak, seems to have soaked up the wood, as it plays a very minor part in the background of this lavishly rich, silky-textured, full-bodied wine made from 100% Tinta del Pais. The wine has been bottled and is scheduled to arrive in September. A marvelous example of a Ribera del Duero, it can be drunk when released and should last for 15-20 years. Bravo! Deep red color; good fruit aroma and taste; good balance of light tannins and fruit; 15 to 20 second finish. 4*.

(92 pts.)[/list]
Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 1994 Bodegas Reyes Ribera del Duero Teofilo Reyes

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:39 pm

Wow great wine Bob R. Hopefully we can look for wines from this area soon on Wine Focus. Will suggest again one of these days!!