The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Blackwood in SF

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Blackwood in SF

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:07 pm

Blackwood was in town and decided to rustle up a few folks. Myself, Jon Cook, and Futornick met Blackwood and his Charming yet Subdued Bride for some tasty food and gentle libations at Zuni Cafe.

Good times.

For those keeping score we started with my offering of a NV Berthet-Bondet Cremant de Jura Brut, which we had to fend off the server from opening. 100% chardonnay and initially I wasn't very impressed as it seemed clean yet boring. However, when I switched from the flute to the regular wine glass, it showed more personality with chalky lemon curd, and was a nice spunky wine. Good value.

We also had a 2000 Marguet Champagne Grand Cru to set the sparkling bar high, and it showed more composure, as well as more sugar, than the Berthet-Bondet, and was fun drinking throughout the meal.

Although, for my tastes the red wines were the ones that clicked. I was initially wary of Blackwood's 2002 Overnoy/Houillon, Arbois Pupillin Poulsard because my experience has been that the wine is so delicate it turns off if you look at it the wrong way. And John carried it across the country! But, this was a beautiful bottle, such verve, such life, such essence of uniqueness. You all know the drill. Trinka found it redolent of Girl Scout Locker Rooms, and not having been there I can't attest to that. But, I will say this was clean compared to other bottles I have had, and was really rocking and rolling.

The 2001 Georges Mugneret Chambolle Musigny Feusselottes may not have been rocking and rolling in the same way, as it was on the young side. But there was still plenty of fruit and plenty of class and plenty of pleasure for me.

The 1999 Pegau Chateauneuf-du-Pape Cuvee Reservee was also a cause for fright at first, but the warm plush integrated fruit was lovely. And I understand it went well with both the Famous Roasted Chicken and Victor's Chocolate Cake..

At this point we veered off into the wonders of Scotch, Oregon eau de vie, Calvados, and whatever else they could pour into our glasses. All while keeping an eye on the Big Issues at stake in the world.

All in a Sunday's Work.