The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine bars in Washington, DC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Wine bars in Washington, DC

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:31 pm

On my last visit I tried the wine bar at Bistro Lepic which I recommend for both wines by the glass and the food. (Small so best to reserve a spot.)

I receive e-mails from Kimpton Hotels having stayed in a couple in DC and one in Portland, OR. Today they announced a new wine bar, the Urbana, in the Hotel Palomar near Dupont Circle. If you want to see their wine list or wines by the glass you can go to http://www.urbanadc.com/winebar/index.html

I believe someone else mentioned a wine bar in Montgomery County, MD, possibly in Bethesda.

Any one else have experience with wine bars in DC area to add to the list?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Wine bars in Washington, DC

by James Roscoe » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:42 pm

JC, our favorite wine bar is closer to Baltimore than DC, but for what it is wirth it is called Iron Bridge. It is out in Columbia MD. They have a great wine list and a great chef. I do pour for their open house events so I may be biased.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:15 pm

I'll keep that one in mind, James. Thanks for responding.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:54 pm

JC -
New in the Penn Quarter of DC, near the Verizon Center is Proof. They maintain at last 21 wines by the glass with many more in bottle. The owner is using his own wine collection as the restaurants wine list. The name derives from the "Wine is Proof..." quote attributed to Ben Franklin. See http://www.proofdc.com (Good food, too although service can be less than expectations.)
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:55 pm

Thanks, Jon.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:37 pm

JC, I've been to Grapeseed in Bethesda once.

They've got a good selection of wines, I was just a little put off when our wine waiter tried to tell me that red wines don't have acidity when I queried their choice of an oaky merlot matched with an oyster dish with in a tomato based sauce. I wasn't being rude, I just asked why they wouldn't have chosen a red with a little more acidity, and that's when he told me that red wines have tannins and white wines have acidity and I must be confusing the two :roll:

Anyway, here's their website:

http://www.grapeseedbistro.com/
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:57 pm

JC--
More for fun than semi-serious tasting, have you tried Bistrot du Coin, on Connecticut just north of Dupont Circle? It's as traditional a bistro as I've encountered this side of the pond, but you're welcome to sit at the bar and just sample wine. Wine specials are on the chalkboard often with little description other than glass/bottle price and apellation, but the 'tenders I've encountered have always cheerfully showed me the bottle when I've asked. Friendly place, but often crowded.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks K and Clinton for your replies. More to try in the future. I had considered Bistrot du Coin and one in Adams-Morgan as possible dinner sites on one trip but didn't get to either place.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:42 am

A link to today's review in the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dy ... estaurants
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:50 am

Thanks, Jon. It sounds inviting for the food and decor as well as the number of wines by the glass and the opportunity to try some wines that are normally not offered by the glass. Near a metro stop also.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 am

JC (NC) wrote:Any one else have experience with wine bars in DC area to add to the list?

One of my favorite wine bars in the DC area was Tallula in Arlington--lots of wines by the glass or by the taste and often some pretty interesting ones (but avoid Friday nights, when the crush of people makes it a typical anonymous and less enjoyable DC hotspot--same goes for Bourbon in Glover Park if you have an interest in a wide selection of bourbon).

Kinkead's in Foggy Bottom usually has excellent wines by the glass--a seat at the bar with the superb bartenders and an appetizer or two is a wonderful way to spend an evening.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:08 pm

Thanks, Keith for your contributions. Where are you in Germany? I've lived in Mannheim, Darmstadt, Wurzburg, Heidelberg, Giessen, Karlsruhe and Nurnberg-Furth.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:37 am

JC (NC) wrote:Where are you in Germany? I've lived in Mannheim, Darmstadt, Wurzburg, Heidelberg, Giessen, Karlsruhe and Nurnberg-Furth.

I reside slightly south of Stuttgart. I've been through Karlsruhe many times, but haven't stopped to check it out yet. I've been told the museums are quite good . . .
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:57 am

They are.