The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

(Torino), Cuneo and La Morra / Fraz. Annunziata (Barolo)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

(Torino), Cuneo and La Morra / Fraz. Annunziata (Barolo)

by Ian Sutton » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:19 pm

We're off to Piemonte (again :roll: 8) :P ) soon and I'm open to recco's for Cuneo (I'm guessing not likely to get many - not exactly on the tourist map 8) ); together with La Morra and specifically Frazione Annunziata where we'll be staying for a few days. A few days at the start in Torino as well, but we're pretty clued up there from previous visits (even though our favourite restaurant - Cave du Jour - closed a couple of years ago).

We'll aim to hit 2 or 3 of the Barolo villages whilst there (La Morra, Barolo itself and possibly one more). We'll be hiring a car as well this time. We might take a long day trip to get from Cuneo to the Festa del Barbaresco (we went last year so it's not a top priority). We may pay a brief visit to Alba this time (we saw plenty last year).

Recco's of good wine bars, restaurants, trattorie and cafe's would be appreciated

I must admit to my shame though, of all the villages in the whole of the region, we're staying slap bang in the middle of 'new wave, modernist Barolo' 8) :roll: That said, there's no point in being pig-headed, so will see if we can make an appointment or two. Maybe Altare as the enfant terrible of the region!?

Our list of producers we'd like to visit is currently small - Marchesi di Barolo (The brains of the operation's favourite)/Marcarini/Borgogno and possibly Fenocchio. Maybe the Ratti museum as it's wthin walking distance of where we're staying. Any others with good cellar doors anyone can recommend - particularly useful to know of some decent ones where you can drop in for a tasting (I don't want to book too many in advance as I don't want it to be a winery route march). Also, anyone know if winery branded glasses are typically on sale? (buying these is a bit of a habit in Oz & NZ for us).

regards

Ian