The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Schiava, Bdx Blanc, MSR Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Schiava, Bdx Blanc, MSR Riesling

by Dale Williams » Fri May 12, 2006 11:48 am

Tuesday made a mushroom "risotto" (actually with barley ) accompanied by a grilled-chicken salad with apples. I opened the 2003 Cantina Nalles Magrè Schiava . I had picked this up at Astor after Agnostino recommended (Schiava, not this particular bottle). Grapey and somewhat primary, a bit of herbacousness. Good acidity keeps the fruit vibrant (due to vintage in Europe in general, I was worried it might be flabby, but not a problem). Ok. The following night (just recorked and refrigerated) , with herbed pork loin and salad, it had a more earthy sense to it, and the fruit seemed more raspberry/cherry than grapey. An ok wine, but there are plenty of Beaujolais I like better. But as a one-off from a vintage and a producer that I have no idea if they are respected, it's good enough that I'll look for another Schiava. B-

Used in cooking (but sampled as an apertif), the 2004 Ch.Haut-Rian (Bordeaux AC) once again proves itself a QPR winner. Grassy SB flavors, some lemony zip, clean if maybe short finish. But for $8 a very good deal. B

With shrimp with Serranos and a very spicy "Southwestern grain medley" for dinner Thursday, the 2004 Selbach-Oster Kabinett (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, AP# ends 024-05). Lime and slate over a backbone of acidity, good concentration yet light and lively. Nice for an under-$15 Riesling. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Re: WTN: Schiava, Bdx Blanc, MSR Riesling

by Agostino Berti » Sat May 13, 2006 5:56 am

Schiava is an indigeous quaffer. Its not a super serious grape. It's a red wine that passes for a Rosè. But I feel these wines have to be supported so they don't get replanted by Cabernet. Its always going to be cheap and usually true to itself cause no one will try to make a super-schiava.
Cheers,
Agostino
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Schiava, Bdx Blanc, MSR Riesling

by Dale Williams » Sat May 13, 2006 12:55 pm

Nice light quaffers are fine with me (I drink a lot of Beaujolais, and a lot of rose). Ability to be "super-serious" doesn't have a big effect on whether I enjoy a wine or not. Any particular producers that you think do Schiava well (if you know they export to US that's a bonus!). Thanks!