The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A couple from Kermit Lynch

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

WTN: A couple from Kermit Lynch

by John Tomasso » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:32 am

Domaine de Fonsainte - 2005 Corbieres
This was a lovely bottle of very drinkable wine. Not too much to think about here - just a nice partner to a hearty bowl of lentil soup. Very purple in the glass, it has interesting aromatics, grip and character on the palate, and was fun to drink, especially considering its $12 price tag

Canonica e Cerreto - 2003 Chianti Classico
somewhat tasty, but forgettable bottle of Chianti - a bit too ripe for my tastes, plummy, with some heat on the finish
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

Re: WTN: A couple from Kermit Lynch

by RonicaJM » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:38 am

Do you pruchase wines online from Kermit Lynch often? If so, what is your overall experience and how is the pricing?
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:10 am

Ronica, I do purchase wine from Kermit on a regular basis, though it is not on line - only because he does not have a very effective web presence.
If he did, I'd likely be spending three times as much with him as I do now.

I receive his newsletter via US mail on a monthly basis. From those selections, I usually mix up a case. I call directly and talk with a human being - yeah, crazy, I know.
His selections marry well with my palate preferences, for the most part, and I find his prices more than fair.

Many times he offers a pre selected mixed "value" case, priced at less than $200. That might be a good introduction for you, to see if his wines hit your sweet spot.

Good luck.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:24 am

John Tomasso wrote:Ronica, I do purchase wine from Kermit on a regular basis, though it is not on line - only because he does not have a very effective web presence.
If he did, I'd likely be spending three times as much with him as I do now.

If I'm not mistaken, Kermit sells retail only in California. As an importer, he sells only through distributors in the other 49 states, and consciously declines to sell online in order not to compete with his wholesale operation.

(I concur in your praise of him, though, and for similar reasons. I'm glad his line is well represented here.)
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:07 pm

Like John, I receive KL's witty newsletter. And I have ordered often from him. And, yeah, each time I call, I talk to someone who is handwriting my order, but they have never failed. Shipping is amazingly cheap, <$2/bottle by the case.

I have found that his case offerings and case specials are unbelievable buys...usually with savings of 20-40%. I have bought full cases in the $120 range. My only disappointment was, ironically perhaps, with a Kermit Lynch Selection (a bottling he has made special for him) Cotes du Rhone.

You can look at KL's newsletters at http://www.kermitlynch.com

Another place for on-line, often bargain purchases, is North Berkeley Imports. I have bought their bargain case specials, often $99/case, and have never had a bad wine in them... and sometimes (like a Mont Olivet CdP) they are flaming bargains. Check them out at http://www.northberkeleyimports.com/home

And if you want to really get crazy about on line stuff.. http://www.garagistewine.com
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:46 pm

Robin, Lynch may have changed his policy since you last checked. Take a look at http://www.kermitlynch.com/pgshipping.html

My notes show that I purchased a case by FedEx several months ago -- don't remember if it was through the shop or with an outside shipper though. But I paid KL for the wine.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:56 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Robin, Lynch may have changed his policy since you last checked. Take a look at http://www.kermitlynch.com/pgshipping.html

Definitely a change, Bob ... looks like the old "reciprocal states" make their okay-to-ship list. I thought the Supreme Court ruling knocked out "reciprocity" as collateral damage in the shipping decision, though, since those old reciprocal agreements by definition discriminated among states.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:04 pm

I haven't looked at the portfolio in a few years, but hasn't it gone through a bit of a thinning? Zind-Humbrecht is one notable loss but I believe there are others as well. Anyone know?
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:49 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:I haven't looked at the portfolio in a few years, but hasn't it gone through a bit of a thinning?

And expansion as well. I keep meaning to go over there but haven't, so I don't know for myself, but apparently he is picking up more and more new producers, and there are rumors of a reinvogorated "energy" in the operation.
no avatar
User

Michael K

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 pm

Wellesley, MA, USA

by Michael K » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:19 am

I completely agree with you on the Domaine de Fonsainte - 2005 Corbieres. It is one of my favorite wines that he stocks (though when I bought it, it was less than $12 ....US Buck is falling again....)

While I do travel a lot to Berkeley and try to drop in when I can (especially since I love Cafe Fanny and ACME Bakery, his neighbours), They are distributed in MA are are available at Marty's in Newton which is where I now get it versus shipping it across the country :)