The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Ice Cream? Where can I get this???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Liz Gray

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:06 am

San Jose

Wine Ice Cream? Where can I get this???

by Liz Gray » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:27 am

An article appeared today in the Democrat & Chronicle about Wine Ice Cream!

I've enclosed it below. How brilliant is this?! Combining two of the worlds best creations!

New Dessert Comes With Bouquet As A Bonus
by Deborah Alexander

A new frozen dessert has arrived in the Rochester Area. At the moment, it's only available in the wine shop of Casa Larga Vineyards in Perinton, and you must be 21 or older to indulge. Mercer's Wine Ice Cream comes in four flavours: Ala Port, Peach White Zinfandel, Red Raspberry Chardonnay & Royal White Riesling.

Created by Mercer's Dairy in Boonville, Oneida County New York, the frozen concoction is not ice cream flavoured with wine, but rather, 12 percent cream product with 5 percent alcohol volume, according to Roxaina Hulburt, director of marketing and and one of the eight owners of the dairy.

Hulburt said New York state wines are used to make the ice cream which she has described as being an "adult dessert, a complete dessert that needs no garnishing." Casa Larga received several samples of the wine ice cream in mid-August and taste-tested it with wine staff and customers, according to winery brand manager Stacy Kurtz.

"It was very well received," Kurtz said. A month later a freezer was installed and the wine ship began selling pints for $7.

The idea for the wine ice cream is the result of experimenting with Mercer's vanilla ice cream and NEw York state fruit wines at wine and food industry shows. Hulburt said it took about 18 months to develop the forumla for the product. The company switched from using fruit wines in the formula to Riesling and Merlots because of the better name recognition. "To our knowledge, nobody else is doing this" she said.

In every state where Mercer's Dairy has gone through the licensing process, state officials have informed the company they have never heard of such a product. The company has applied for, and/or received, licensing to sell the wine ice cream in 20 states and in the District of Columbia.

Hulburt said the plan to sell the ice cream, which is also available in five-quart and three-gallon containers for $25 and $52 respectively, in high end restaurants. Outside the Rochester area, wine ice cream is sold at Hannaford Supermarket, a high-end grocery in Utica and Watertown, and at The Sagamore in the Lake George area.
Just because I am cynical, doesn't mean I'm wrong. (tm)
http://www.elizabeth-gray.net
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Wine Ice Cream? Where can I get this???

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:30 am

Another brand is available by mail order, Liz: http://www.glacedevino.com/OrderWineIceCream.html

Sounds fun -- and the publicity is pretty positive.
Last edited by Bob Ross on Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:31 am

Glace De Vino, gourmet wine ice-cream can be found at Hannaford Supermarkets in Up-State NY.

Salute
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:26 pm

It is rather easy to make. I lam partial to Champagne Ice-cream personally.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:00 pm

Mackay's in Cochrane, Alberta used to have a Champagne ice cream, though it's not on their current list. It was pretty good.

Looking through their list, I wonder how the Durian ice cream would be. Actually, I probably don't want to know.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:45 pm

Same here, Bill. Pretty simple and Champagne works very well.