The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Silver Oak, How does it age

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Silver Oak, How does it age

by Bob Henrick » Fri May 12, 2006 5:55 pm

I have some early 90's Silver Oak cabernets and wonder how well, or how poorly they age. I have 90 and 91 from both Napa and Alexander valleys. 91 was IMO the best vintage of that decade and I am thinking of opening one. .Aany help is appreciated. These wines have been kept in a my Vinotheque wine cabinet at 55 degrees so the storage is not an issue.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Silver Oak, How does it age

by Lou Kessler » Fri May 12, 2006 8:46 pm

Both those wines are going to drink as well as they ever will. The Napa ages better than the Alexander Valley and will hold together longer also. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri May 12, 2006 9:53 pm

Thanks a lot Lou! Wish we saw more of you over here. Might need to email you sometime.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat May 13, 2006 5:50 pm

I think Lou is being a little kind, Bob. I quit buying Silver Joke in 1991. I always preferred the Napa over the Alex. I find the wines need drinking by 10 years of age -- they quickly slide to oblivion after that.

Of course there are exceptions to every rule. I drank a '78 Alex in '96 as part of a getting out of the Army celebration. It was delightful. I'd pull a cork soon -- let us know what you find.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat May 13, 2006 8:05 pm

Thanks Randy. As soon as I can get this new certamic grill fired up and put some beef on, I will do just that. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon May 15, 2006 11:38 am

Maybe I don't get Silver Oak but I've always been underwhelmed by their wines that have been aged a long time. If you like the style I think you're better off drinking these on the youngish side.

Tom T.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon May 15, 2006 12:49 pm

Bob,
I am going to have to come down on the side with Lou Kessler. Silver Oak is not my cabernet of choice but they age quite well and I have had both of these wines in the last couple of years. I think they are actually better with a good dose of bottle age than younger, the oak seems to integrate. My problem is that I no longer buy any wine with "oak" on the label.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon May 15, 2006 3:14 pm

Thanks Walt. I bought several of the 90 and 91's from both Napa and Alex, and had one each about 5 years ago. I was not impressed then, ergo the extrra aging. I need though, to find a decent reason to open one again even if it is just my wifes pot roast. come to think of it that might be an excellent reason to open one.
Bob Henrick