The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Loires (one red, one pink)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2 Loires (one red, one pink)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:28 pm

Wednesday I headed into city for dinner with Betsy before "Margaret Garner" (her playing, I was in audience). We met at a LC area favorite of hers, Epices. French/Moroccan. She was on a tight schedule, I told her to order for me while I was on train. She chose for me a lamb tagine, which could have used a spicy red. But I opted for something colder (warm day in NYC), a glass of the 2006 Domaine Bellevue Touraine Rosé. Like a strawberry popsicle, cool and refreshing, if a bit lacking in depth. A little floral note, but simple- and simple and cool was just what I needed. B/B-

OT aside: Probably too late for anyone reading this to make NY performance (Sat is last night), but Margaret Garner (Toni Morrison's libretto) is dramatically a pretty strong piece (the Margaret Garner story was somewhat the basis of "Beloved"). Unsure where it might be staged next.

Thursday Betsy had long rehearsals, and I said I'd do dinner. But my day ran way long, and I needed to hurry. Thought about takeout Greek, but instead got some marinated chicken breast and prepared lentil salad from deli, combined with leftover kale. Some quick grilling, and then enjoyed with the 2005 Bernard Baudry "Les Granges" Chinon. Served quite cool, tannins were rather out front. Black plum and raspberry fruit, just a hint of green pepper, with a black pepper edge to finish. Bigger and denser than I anticipated based on earlier vintages. Gets a little cigarsmoke note with air. Quite pleasant now, but could use a little time. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2 Loires (one red, one pink)

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:32 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2005 Bernard Baudry "Les Granges" Chinon. Served quite cool, tannins were rather out front. Black plum and raspberry fruit, just a hint of green pepper, with a black pepper edge to finish. Bigger and denser than I anticipated based on earlier vintages. Gets a little cigarsmoke note with air. Quite pleasant now, but could use a little time.

Well 2005 is a big vintage isn't it?

I guess these wines are even less approchable than 2005 red Burgundy. And this is the basic bottling!