The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Nights of Wine - Part II

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

WTN: Three Nights of Wine - Part II

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Giramondo Wine Adventures
Bordeaux Tasting, Tuesday 9/25/07

2003 Ch. Smith Haut Lafitte White (Pessac Leognan): This had a smoky, farmy, compost aroma, medium-full body, rich and good structure.

2000 Ch. Smith Haut Lafitte Red (Pessac Leognan): Blackcurrant and black cherry, the oak seemed evident but well balanced. A plush wine, but the cab franc brought a nice dry counter to the smooth oakiness. Drink now.

2000 Ch. Beau Sejour Becot (St. Emillion): Cherries and peppercorns on the nose, medium body, this wine tastes very young and somewhat austere. Good now, but definitely could wait a while.

1995 Ch. Latour a Pomerol: The first impression is of stewed tomatoes, hearty game and a bit of pepper. Much sweeter/fruitier on the palate with a nice sour cherry taste. Very smooth, not much structure or finish.

1995 Ch. Latour Haut Brion (Pessac Leognan, 2nd lable 1st growth): Tobacco and dried leaves, perfect round tannins lead to a wonderful rolling finish.

1995 Ch. Pontet Canet (Pauillac, 5th growth): A lot of herbs on the nose with this one…anise and something just out of reach of my memory, maybe lavender. Black cherries on the palate, the tannins were a bit chalky but worked. I noted that it tasted a bit green after having eaten, and I’m not really sure what I meant by that, but I have two stars next to it which means I must have liked it a lot despite the less than stellar notes. I think it was probably the herbal/floral character that did it for me.

1982 Chateau Branair Ducru (St. Julien, 4th growth): Blood, mushrooms and cherries on the nose and subtle rhubarb on the palate, this may be coming out of a sleep and seems like it could go for far longer, although it’s quite nice now. Milestone for me, I think this is probably the oldest wine I’ve tried.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Three Nights of Wine - Part II

by Brian K Miller » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:43 pm

Re: The Beau Sejur Becot. You're confirming what the shopkeeper told me when I bought the bottle (he was all out of the lovely 1998! :( )

I DO LIKE THIS PRODUCER, THOUGH!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Three Nights of Wine - Part II

by Dale Williams » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks for notes.
The '95 Pontet Canet is nice, but maybe a bit awkward now.
Good bottles of the '82 Branaire-Ducru really rock.