The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: NYT <$10 Red Winner (Portugese)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: NYT <$10 Red Winner (Portugese)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:55 pm

A couple weeks ago the NYT ran a tasting panel report on "under $10 reds." I glanced, but didn't pay a lot of attention, as panel tastings never
really seem to do it for me (as they tend to stay for the safest choices- does anyone remember the Neil Young quote re Heart of Gold- something along the lines "this put me in middle of road, but I headed back for the ditch- rougher ride, but more interesting" - panel tasting winner seldom offend, but seldom blow my socks off). But I did like Florence Fabricant's suggestion for a dish to serve with inexpensive reds:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/19/dinin ... ref=dining

A skirt steak with tri-color peppers. So when Betsy asked if I could take care of an early dinner Sat, I said sure. Got my steak and other ingredients, plus some baby bak choy. Thought I'd serve an Iche Heretiques or ESJ Shadow. But stopping off in a wine store for some assorted cheapies, I see a shelf-talker for "#1 Wine in NYTimes Tasting of Under-$10 reds." The 2002 Casa Cadaval "Padre Pedro" ( Ribatejano) at $5.99- who could resist? So took home, served with the skirt steak. Juicy red berry and cherry fruit, a little pepper and oregano, ripe and tasty if a tad short. Label says Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Trincadeira, and Castelao. Never heard of latter two, and doesn't taste much like first two. But certainly a friendly little wine, could do battle with most $10 Languedocs (which is what it resembles). If still there when I go back in area I'll grab another couple, at about $5 with mixed case discount its certainly worth having around for a cooking or big party wine, but won't make an effort. B-

Dish is actually pretty good, will try again with maybe a CdR or Vacqueyras.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency