The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

I need help choosing a good Barolo. (Change 2)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carlos Carrion

Rank

Just got here

Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:39 am

I need help choosing a good Barolo. (Change 2)

by Carlos Carrion » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:21 am

*03OCT2007
Once again, thanks for all the help, with the info that all of you have provided me with, I feel like I’m ready to venture back into the internet and find the perfect Barolo.
Richard recommended a good wine shop in San Antonio (Joe Saglimbeni’s Fine Wine & Spirits) that seems to have a very nice selection. I’m thinking about trying that one first, more than anything because they are local and they deliver. After reading all your messages, it is safe to say that everyone agrees that the temperatures at the moment are not suitable for shipping, so if I can avoid it by using a local shop, I will. If that doesn’t work, I will explore all the other options.
Dale, you were correct, I do prefer a traditional Barolo over others. Also, thanks for the list of dependable stores.
I promise to let you all know how everything turns out within a day or two. This is turning into an interesting little project of mine, hahaha.
Well everyone, take care, I’ll talk to you again in a day or two.
Carlos Carrion

*02OCT2007
First, allow me to say thanks you, I didn’t expected to receive these many replies the day after posting my message.
Second, I would like to apologize if I’m not able to replay right away. Between the time difference, my schedule and the fact that at the end of the day I’m very tired, there is very little time left to clean myself up, spend some time with my girlfriend on MSN Messenger, and then get a little bit of rest.
To answer some of your questions, my girlfriend is in San Antonio TX, and I’m in Camp Taji, which is 15 to 20 miles north of downtown Baghdad. We already had plans to get married when I got orders to deploy, therefore the wedding had to be delayed, at least until I get to go on R&R leave, not sure when that is going to be yet. As I mentioned before, since our conversation when she asked me about my favorite wine, she has tried to find a Barolo, but has been unsuccessful. I was thinking that it would be a very nice surprise to somehow find a good Barolo online and have it mailed to her. Think about it, she gets a surprise package from her fiancé, who is in Iraq, and it contains a bottle of Barolo, she was having trouble finding one but I somehow did it, I think it would earn me a few cool points with her, hahaha. Plus, to be honest, I love her so much and I just want to surprise her, not just with anything, but with something that she can enjoy and let her know that I’m always thinking of her. A very nice Barolo is what matters the most, but as for the price range, I was thinking between $75 and $150. Bartolo Mascarello is one of the producers that I’m familiar with, but I can’t recall the spelling of the other producer.
K Story, to you and your family, and to everyone reading this message, thank you for your support, is difficult to explain how much all of us appreciate it, especially at the beginning when you are trying to get accustom to your new environment, far away from the ones you love. This is not my first time, but it is still just as hard.
Again, thank you, and sorry for the long message,
Carlos Carrion
Last edited by Carlos Carrion on Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: I need help choosing a good Barolo.

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:52 am

Carlos Carrion wrote:My girlfriend and soon to be wife

Is this one or two women? :wink:

I just wanted to welcome you to the Forum, Carlos! I am sure someone with more knowledge/experience of this wine will be along momentarily....
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:16 am

Can you give us an idea of how much you wanted to spend, and the producers you lked? Barolo can range from $20-$250 on release (and older bottlings can go higher!).
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:57 pm

Although I've never purchased from them, and they're a little on the costly side, I've heard good things about Italian Wine Merchants:

http://www.italianwinemerchant.com/

If you were to send them an email and explain your siutation they may be able to help.

And thanks for doing what you do...my brother is over there somewhere too (not sure exactly where this time, it's his second deployment) and my family and I are very grateful for the sacrifices you have all made.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:15 pm

Carlos
If you've got the names of the producers you recall, that would help.

However some good (none too expensive, but widely available) options are: Prunotto, Fontanfredda, Marchesi di Barolo. All should be relatively approachable at ~ 10 years old.

There are plenty of others though, including many (arguably more) interesting smaller makers.

... and don't ignore Barbaresco either, which is in the same mould.

best of luck

Ian
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:41 am

Also, where does your girlfriend live. That has a lot to do with what wine you could order and have delivered to her home.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:43 am

Carlos,

with that price range you have lots of options. 1996 and 2001 are widely available great vintages, but the wines aren't really ready yet. I'd look at '93, '95, and '97 - most are mature/maturing, and prices aren't as high as say 1990.

Since you mention Bartolo Mascarello, I'm going to make the assumption that you prefer more traditionally styled Barolo (which is what I prefer, and would bias my recs in any case). The other stars of traditionally styled Barolo are Giacosa (probably the star), Giacomo Conterno, and G. Mascarello. Aldo Conterno is not quite AS traditional, but certainly not modern, and very good. My favorite traditonal producer for value is Marcarini. Other good traditional to middle of the road makers might include Cavallotto, Roagna, Einaudi, Borgogno, and Bovio.

Unsure re Texas shipping laws. My list of dependable stores include Zachys (zachys.com), Grapes (http://www.grapesthewineco.com), Wine Exchange (winex.com), Woodland Hills (whwc.com), Premier Cru (Premiercru.net), Wine Library (winelibrary.com), Astor (astorwine.com), etc. Maybe the most recommended store on WLDG (for good reason) is Chambers St Wines (http://chambersstwines.com/). They have quite a few attractive wines in your range (or less, in case of '95 Marcarinis- hmmmm. maybbe I need to buy those!).

If shipping to TX is a problem, the only wine store I know in Texas is Specs. A quick look shows only a few Barolos

http://www.specsonline.com/cgi-bin/snf? ... CAll+Items

(beware the Grappas- not wine! And the Marchese di Barolo is a producer- those Barberas are not Barolo). Probably best option there is the '00 Aldo Conterno. Young but 2000 is a rather ripe vintage.

Good luck, have a safe tour and joyous wedding!
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:22 am

Carlos--
Let me also welcome you to this forum. I hope you'll join our conversation more often when time and circumstances permit. Dale has given you some good advice about traditional producers and vintages to look for. For me, I wouldn't necessarily disregard the more "modern" producers, especially if you want a bottle that your girlfriend can drink and enjoy now or in the near future. As Dale says, 2000 is considered by many to be any early-maturing vintage--and I suspect it's also more readily available than some of the earlier vintages. I've enjoyed the Seghesio "La Villa" Barolo, and although you've budgeted $75 - $150, this is usually priced around $50, so the difference could help cover any shipping charges. Just a word of caution--try not to have the bottle shipped during a warm stretch, especially to San Antonio. As you probably know, heat can seriously damage wine. I'd make sure to express that to any shipper you deal with. Hope you'll find a chance to let us know how it turns out.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: I need help choosing a good Barolo. (Change 1)

by Paul Winalski » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:01 am

Carlos,

There ought to be lots of good choices in the price range you quote.

I've been out of the Barolo scene since 1990--it just got too pricey for me. Before that I was very fond of Vietti's Barolos. I still have some of his 1982 Barolo Riservas and 1985 and 1988 single-vineyard releases. I have no clue as to whether this producer is still in the top tier of Barolo producers.

Great Barolo is almost immortal.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: I need help choosing a good Barolo. (Change 1)

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:58 am

Carlos,

In San Antonio, the best wine shop, IMO....is Joe Saglembeni's.

http://www.jsfinewine.com/

Just off 281 on the mid-north side of town. Funky, but large, converted residential home with a great Italian selection. This URL will take you to their website. Give them a call and they'll help you out. They also deliver.

Richard
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

Re: I need help choosing a good Barolo. (Change 2)

by Nathan Smyth » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Remember that temperature trumps everything - it's still too hot to ship anything to San Antonio:

With that as the working assumption, here are some wines I'd love to try in the sub-$150 price range.

Apparently there was a recent library release of old Giacomo Borgnonos, and the consensus is that 1958, 1961, and 1964 are the best vintages [compare here].

Remember that with old wines, there will be enormous bottle variation - some will be sublime, but others will be vinegar, so purchasing old wine is always a crap shoot.

Also, old corks are VERY difficult to get out of bottles [often they crumble into little pieces], so simply opening one of these bottles could be rather daunting for the neophyte [or for anyone else, really].

The 1961 is lauded here. The 1958 & the 1964 are just a little out of your price range, but I've included them anyway.

Chambers Street [NY, NY] has a bunch of older Baroli in stock, many of which are affordable, but I don't know anything about any of them:

Another shop with a very broad selection is The Rare Wine Company, of Sonoma, CA:

Giacomo Conterno's best wine is Monfortino, but that's out of your price range.

His next best wine is Cascina Francia, and here are some recent vintages with good ratings:

1998 Giacomo Conterno, Cascina Francia
IWC94
$79.95, Sonoma, CA
$98.00, Ithaca, NY
$101.11, Portland, OR

2000 Giacomo Conterno, Cascina Francia
IWC90-93, AG92
$79.00, Lafayette, CA
$80.00, Parker, CO
$84.95, Sonoma, CA

2001 Giacomo Conterno, Cascina Francia
WA96, IWC 91
$99.99, NY, NY [this price is suspiciously low, but if it's real...]
$119.99, Tarpon Springs, FL [potential for heat damage?]
$129.95, Sonoma, CA

Bruno Giacosa's most famous wine is his Le Rocche del Falletto, but like Giacomo Conterno's Monfortino, that tends to be well out of your price range. However, many of his Normale [not Riserva] Barbaresco wines are within your price range, and, like Barolo, are made from the Nebbiolo grape. Here are some recent vintages with good ratings:

All the recent vintages of Mascarello's Monprivato have received very good ratings from Antonio Galloni, and they are still [relatively] affordable.

There is a Riserva, called "Ca d'Morissio", which is not affordable, but see here for a thread about one which might be available.

1996 Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato
AG94
$135.00, St. Helena, CA, PRE-ARRIVAL
$139.00, Parker, CO
[url=http://www.italianwinemerchantstore.com/IWM_Wine_List_M.htm##Mascarello_Giuseppe]$139.60, NY, NY[/url]
$149.95, Sonoma, CA

1997 Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato
IWC92-95, RP 93
$139.95, Sonoma, CA
$221.39, Manhasset, NY
$249.99, NY, NY

1999 Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato
AG95+, IWC93
$64.99, Woodland Hills, CA
$68.97, Walnut Creek, CA
$69.95, Sonoma, CA

2000 Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato
AG93, IWC91, WA93
$56.99, Woburn, MA
$59.95, Sonoma, CA
$65.00, San Francisco, CA

2001 Giuseppe Mascarello Monprivato
AG95
$67.99,
$69.95, Sonoma, CA
$69.99, NY, NY

Finally, this would be my personal recommendation: Aldo Conterno [run by some relatives - maybe second cousins? - of the folks at Giacomo Conterno] has a style which is a little more "modern", with bigger fruit, and softer tannins, and which is ready to drink at a much younger age.

For a neophyte [which I'm assuming your girlfriend is], I think that Aldo Conterno would be a lot of fun. An Aldo Conterno won't need the degree of palate-training which some of the more traditionally styled wines would require [before they can be appreciated], and most of these should be drinking pretty well already:

1999 Aldo Conterno Barolo Vigna Cicala
IWC 95+, WA 92
$80.00, Chicago, IL
$89.95, CA, USA
$98.79, NY, NY

1999 Aldo Conterno Barolo Granbussia Riserva
IWC95+, WA95, AG94
$154.95, CA, USA
$170.00, Arvada, CO
$175.99, Boonton, NJ

2000 Aldo Conterno Barolo Vigna Cicala
IWC93, WS93
$101.96, Portland, OR
$104.00, Portland, OR
$110.00, Brooklyn, NY

2001 Aldo Conterno Barolo Vigna Cicala
IWC 95, WS 94, WA 92
$99.97, NY, NY
$100.00, San Diego, CA
$100.79, Livingston, NJ
Last edited by Nathan Smyth on Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Nathan Smyth

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:20 am

Re: I need help choosing a good Barolo. (Change 2)

by Nathan Smyth » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:48 pm

My personal recommendations:

1) 1999 Aldo Conterno Barolo Granbussia Riserva
Guaranteed to please.

2) 1961 Giacomo Borgogno Riserva
Could be vinegar, but could be other-worldly.

3) 1996 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano
1996 was a great year for the master, and at 11 years of age, this wine should be starting to blossom.

4) 2001 Giacomo Conterno, Cascina Francia
Tough to argue with 96 points from Antonio Galloni ["it sets a new benchmark for the level of sublimeness and finesse that Nebbiolo can achieve"], but the tannins are probably too aggressive for the neophyte.