The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Israeli wine targets "Christian consumers" ...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Israeli wine targets "Christian consumers" ...

by Robin Garr » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:06 am

Without getting into either religion or politics, I'm not quite sure what to make of this news release ...

<b>New wine to target Christian consumers debuts in United States</b>

It was at a wedding in Galilee where, 2,000 years ago, Jesus turned water into wine. Today, this region is home to The Grapes of GalileeTM, wines of exceptional quality crafted with the modern Christian in mind.

The Grapes of Galilee are grown by the Sea of Galilee and watered by the Jordan River, where Jesus was baptized. They are ideal for celebrations such as wedding receptions and communions, or any festive occasions when Christians seek a physical connection to their spiritual homeland.

“The history of this wine is something that we can all share together,” says UC San Diego student Adam Haroz, who founded import company Haroz Vintners with his father, Pini, after being inspired by a trip to Israel. “I hope to provide a way to strengthen the bond between Israel and many other people through bringing wine from Galilee to the houses of the Christian community.”
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Israeli wine targets "Christian consumers" ...

by Bob Ross » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:22 am

I'm also a little puzzled as well.

I really wonder if serious market research was done here, Robin. many fundamental Christians are prohibitionists. In fact, I've heard sermons in which the preacher argued that Jesus did not turn water into alcoholic wine. As a kid, our sacramental "wine" was Welsch's Grape juice.

I'll be fascinated to see if this brand has any legs.

Great catch!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:55 pm

Bob Ross wrote:I'll be fascinated to see if this brand has any legs.

Or if the wine does.

What's next, Cheeses of Nazareth? Olive oil from the Mount?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:01 pm

Although it's true that many fundamentalists are indeed prohibitionists, I would argue that they are disconnected with the fact that wine was a part of life in the time that Jesus walked the earth. Prohibitionism really came about much later, and I at least tend to view it as a human "add on" that has had questionable effectiveness.

But, that digression aside, it's a valid point in that there will be entire segments of Christianity that won't be inclined to partake of this wine, no matter its provenance.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca