The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Isabella for Paul B

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Isabella for Paul B

by Thomas » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:51 pm

This is one that I know will tickle Paul.

During my trip to Piemonte, a cantina owner gave me a box full of grapes to eat; they were Isabella.

I didn't eat them--didn't like them...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: Isabella for Paul B

by Paul B. » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:43 pm

Piemontese Isabella? A full box? I would be eternally grateful to such a fine, upstanding cantina owner. Were the grapes overcropped or off in some other way, or did you just not enjoy the foxy wild-strawberry/raspberry flavour?

Enquiring minds wanna know, and all that jazz :D
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:22 am

Paul B. wrote:Piemontese Isabella? A full box? I would be eternally grateful to such a fine, upstanding cantina owner. Were the grapes overcropped or off in some other way, or did you just not enjoy the foxy wild-strawberry/raspberry flavour?

Enquiring minds wanna know, and all that jazz :D

Paul,

I never cared much for what, to me, is overbearing flavors of the American varieties. But then, this wine drinker rarely eats grapes and raisins, and I don't like grape juice. Go figure.

The Isabella in Piemonte is not unusual. I think I once told you that I managed to get a bottle of concord grappa in Friuli.

I believe some in northern Italy planted American vines in the 1950s for whatever reason. Many of the vines still flourish--most are eaten as table grapes or made into grappa...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:01 am

Thomas wrote:
Paul B. wrote:But then, this wine drinker rarely eats grapes and raisins, and I don't like grape juice. Go figure.

I'm the same way, Thomas, and it's always struck me as odd, too, that I like wine but don't much care for the fruit it comes from. Not even European grapes, much less <i>labrusca</i>.

Wasn't it Escoffier who reportedly, when offered a dish of grapes, said, "I am not accustomed to taking my wine in pills"?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Paul B. wrote:But then, this wine drinker rarely eats grapes and raisins, and I don't like grape juice. Go figure.

I'm the same way, Thomas, and it's always struck me as odd, too, that I like wine but don't much care for the fruit it comes from. Not even European grapes, much less <i>labrusca</i>.

Wasn't it Escoffier who reportedly, when offered a dish of grapes, said, "I am not accustomed to taking my wine in pills"?

I believe it was...I'll look it up. It's a great quote to remember.

Why do you think we have an aversion to the fruit and not to wine? Oh right, the alcohol ;)
Thomas P