The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

[WTN + Q] Domaine de Brizé 2006 Anjou Gamay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

MattThr

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:25 am

UK

[WTN + Q] Domaine de Brizé 2006 Anjou Gamay

by MattThr » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:55 pm

I went into my local wine shop looking for a Beaujolais and came out with this instead. The salesman suggested it would make a better introduction to the Gamay grape than Beaujolais and if I liked it, I'd better appreciate the terrior aspect of Beaujolais having tried this first. I was after Gamay having been recommended it right here as a good wine to drink without food

=====

Very dark purple - virtually black in the depth of the glass.

Scent really not forthcoming. With vigorous swirling a vague sense of black berry and acid makes and appearance, but little else.

On the palate the wine offers an absolute and overwhelming fruit flavour of ... lemons. It really is quite extraordinarily strong and not pleasantly so - not a flavour one expects to encounter in a red wine and the acid is wince-inducing. In between wincing you can just about catch some further complexity - liquorice and fermenting apples mainly and these do just about outlast the acid into the finish.

We couldn't finish the bottle. I'd read that Gamay can be very acidic but also very fruity. We certainly got the acid, but where was the fruit?

=====

The question is .. could this be spoiled or corked? I have no experience of Gamay at all and little of bothering to look for spoiled wines so I have no idea what signs to look out for. However it strikes me as unlikely that a reputable and serious wine dealer would bother stocking something this unpleasant, unless perhaps this level of acidity in a red is something of an acquired taste.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: [WTN + Q] Domaine de Brizé 2006 Anjou Gamay

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:13 pm

The black color and smells sound right for Anjou gamay, which I often find to be sterner than Beaujolais. But the lemons part sounds wrong.

Since the shop is local, I would take the bottle back to him/her and ask whether the taste is normal. It would be a learning experience and also serve to build a relationship.