The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: The Bojo Bugey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

WTN: The Bojo Bugey

by Bruce K » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:18 pm

Drouhin 2004 Juliénas, $12
This is my first cru Beaujolais from this negociant and I was impressed. It has a great nose of fresh raspberry fruit, flowers, deep dark earth, minerals and a little beetiness that wasn’t unpleasant. On the palate, there are nice fresh raspberry flavors accented by lots of deep dark earth and minerals. Rich and well-balanced with good structure from bright acidity and some tannins. Really nice wine and a fine value. Excellent match with spinach/onion/mushroom pizza. Importer: Dreyfus Ashby.

Domaine Manoir du Carra 2005 Beaujolais-Villages Non-Filtre, $10
Just delightful with bright fruit accented by some herbs, minerals and earth. Smooth and refreshing. Outstanding at an outdoor picnic with bread, cheeses, gazpacho, olives and spreads. Three days later, it’s even better. The nose at times has some flowers and perfume and at other times dusty herbs accenting the bright red fruit. On the palate, the red fruit is still going strong, but minerals dominate the finish. Excellent match with garlic top pesto. This really hits the spot for me, both in taste and price; definitely worth getting more. Importer: Kysela.

Franck Peillot 2004 Vin de Bugey Mondeuse, $17
Wild fresh strawberries burst from the glass, with some tart cherry, too, and also dominate the flavors. There are accents of minerals and earth and maybe a few touches of herbs and gravel. This reminds me a lot more of gamay than of the few Italian refoscos I’ve had, but it’s very enjoyable and distinctive with bright acidity and good structure. Excellent match with a potato/onion/asparagus/ cheese omelette. Four days later, the fruit is broader, deeper and more tart, almost with a tomatoey element but still very pleasant. Importer: Louis/Dressner.

Château d'Oupia 2001 Minervois, $8
This is excellent as always and none the worse for wear at six-years-old, with nice blackberry fruit and good dusty, earthy garrigue notes. Excellent match with fajitas. Importer: Louis/Dressner.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: WTN: The Bojo Bugey

by Bob Ross » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:45 pm

I probably shouldn't encourage this sort of thing, Bruce, but I love your Subject lines -- very amusing.

And the tasting notes are awfully good too -- thanks. Bob
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: WTN: The Bojo Bugey

by Bruce K » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:52 pm

Thanks, Bob, and you're right -- you probably shouldn't encourage this sort of thing. God only knows where it might lead.