The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2003 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Cuvée Ste. Ca

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TN: 2003 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Cuvée Ste. Ca

by Saina » Sun May 14, 2006 3:22 pm

On the odd occasion, I want my wine to have fruit in it. (I generally find fruit overrated.) This had fruit. Too much of it, if you ask me. We had an interesting discussion with David from Swizerland about this wine, and back then I remembered a TN of mine where I rather liked this. Not so anymore.

• 2003 Domaine Weinbach Riesling Schlossberg Cuvée Ste. Catherine - France, Alsace, Haut Rhin, Alsace Grand Cru AOC (5/14/2006)
    The colour was golden (too much heat). The nose was voluptious (too much heat). The palate was enormous (too much heat). Where be the minerality, the harmony, the elegance? Ok, to be fair, it did have a nice aftertaste: long, dry, savoury, just a bit too powerful to be elegant. I wanted fruit, not flat fruit juice. But this slowly grew on me. What did the trick? I started to think of this as unoaked Chardonnay (due to the smooth texture on the palate) not as Riesling. Strange wine. It did keep up my interest for sure, but I won't be going out for more.

Posted from CellarTracker