The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Archipel Winery Sonoma County California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2002 Archipel Winery Sonoma County California.

by Bob Ross » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:53 pm

2002 Archipel Winery Sonoma County California. $39.99, Beekmans, Glen Rock. Screwcap!

Deep red color, deep hue, lovely Cabernet aormas and tastes with smoke, chocolate, and a dried fruit component, medium mouth feel, excellent balance of very good tannins and a light acidity, just a hint of oakiness, not at all off putting, long finish with layers of flavors. Probably won't develop much further, but should drink very well for some time. 4*. Light EGA.

Winery: http://www.archipelwines.com/ Rather than limit our sourcing to specific vineyards, or even a defined American Viticultural Appellation (AVA), we choose for the Mayacamas Mountain Range to define Archipel. For each vintage our winemaking team selects Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc fruit from a collection of Estate-owned vineyards located in several wine growing appellations across the Mayacamas Mountain Range.

The 2002 vintage represents a blend of hand-picked, hand-sorted Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Cabernet Franc fruit. Vibrant blackberry and black cherry fruit accompany a whisper of vanilla and a hint of smoke like that from an open fire. The lush, almost sensual mouthfeel is followed by a long, evolving finish.

Production Statistics
Appellations: 94% Sonoma County, 6% Napa County
Final Blend: 49% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 18% Cabernet Franc, 1% Malbec
Aged: 14 months in French and American oak barrels
Alcohol: 14.2%

You can check availability, compare prices and order this wine from various retailers through Wine-Searcher.com.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2002 Archipel Winery Sonoma County California.

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:38 am

I tasted this wine in Summer 2006 at the Verite Estate in Alexander Valley (Chalk Hill Road). I still have it in my "passive cellar" (cool interior closet). I actually liked it and agree with your notes. I liked Verite even more, but then Verite is achingly expensive. :shock: