The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My first wine tasting experience

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

My first wine tasting experience

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:37 am

Last evening Gail and I attended a fund-raiser wine and food tasting event and had a good time. It could have been better but for her knee giving her fits from all the standing around involved (it was an outdoor event in a rose garden).

We were given a wine list, but the lighting was so dim over most of the area I could barely read it, nor could I make out most of the labels, so did not even try to take notes beyond an A-F rating system. I probably tried about 20 wines in total.

Back home looking up the wines on Wine Searcher, I discovered what I had thought at the tasting, that there was an over-abundance of inexpensive wines present. Many were in the $10 (barely) to $20 range, although some I tasted in that range were good to my tastes. The star for me, and at least two other folks, was the St. Supery Elu Red Meritage. I also liked the Picket Fence Chardonnay, and an off-list Cab Franc Reserve that I believe - but am not certain - was from Grayson Cellars. By the time we had worked our way to the Gruet table, the wines there had run out, much to our disappointment.

I was a bit disappointed at the offerings, considering what the tickets cost, but it was a fundraiser so that tempers the disappointment a bit. The event was also supposed to have food from Tulsa's top chefs, but many of the town's high-end restaurants were not represented. There were some wonderful foods to be had though, including roast beef on flatbread, with caramelized onions and fresh-grated horseradish (fantastic!) from Fifty Five Degrees and a delish black bean soup from The French Hen. Oh, and melt-in-your-mouth beef tenderloin on a crisp toast, topped with horseradish.

All in all, we did have a good time, and will probably do this event next year as well.
:)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: My first wine tasting experience

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:11 pm

Glad you had a good time overall, Mr 1K. Has this particular event been running for a while, or was this their first try at it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:14 pm

we did have a good time, and will probably do this event next year as well.

What you describe is pretty typical of a charity tasting, as you probably guessed. The wines will be pleasant and plentiful but few will be up to the level of close geek scrutiny. Those that are will run out fast, and some producers may even have some premium bottles under the table for those who show the right kind of interest. In general, it's a good idea to scope out the top end producers and get to those tables first.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:19 pm

Cynthia - This was the 18th annual Wine & Roses tasting event.

Jenise - I am still new enough at the wine game that I can't always tell from looking at a list what are the top-end producers present, which makes it sort of like a crapshoot as to which to go to first.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Robert Reynolds wrote:Cynthia - This was the 18th annual Wine & Roses tasting event.

Jenise - I am still new enough at the wine game that I can't always tell from looking at a list what are the top-end producers present, which makes it sort of like a crapshoot as to which to go to first.

Robert,

I'm an old hand at this wine tasting stuff and as I shared on the Joining a Wine Group thread, I have a fair amount diffidence toward tasing events as well.

Hope it's a success next year, too. :)