The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Guigal Cotes du Rhone Blanc and Sablet Rouge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: Guigal Cotes du Rhone Blanc and Sablet Rouge

by Tom N. » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:23 pm

I am usually a red bigot, but I decided to try this wine based on a good review by Gordon Stimmel of the Toronto Star:

GUIGAL 2005 CÔTES DU RHÔNE BLANC $16.95 (FRANCE)

Complex smoky nectarine aromas, accented with lime, lemon and minerals. The flavours showcase stone fruit (peach, apricot) with mellow lime and gentle floral accents, with peach coming forward nicely on the very long finish.

Food suggestion: A plate of hard cheeses and jams.

Rating: 90

My note:

2005 Cotes du Rhone Blanc E. Guigal, 13% abv

Clear straw yellow with a nose of grapefruit, tangerine and a touch of terpentine. Expressive and full midpalate feel with with generous grapefruit and yellow cherry tomatoes with an acidic zing. Nice long finish of green tomatoes and pineapple with refreshing acidity. Nicely balanced

With food: Nice with chicken swiss (sauce had 1/2 cup of this wine in it).

Better with asparagus and penne with tomato sauce and meatballs. The food seems to complement the wine's fruit tastes and improve the midpalate smoothness of the wine.

Stimmel on a red Cotes du Rhone:

CHATEAU DU TRIGNON SABLET 2004 CÔTES DU RHÔNE – VILLAGES $20.95 (FRANCE)

Part of the Vintages spotlight on France, this is a monster red, with aromas of woodland fires and smoky black cherry. The flavours show violets, scorched earth, with lovely black cherry finesse. Evident tannins, still a very youthful red.

Food suggestion: Rare steak or tartare.

My note:

Solid garnet red with a slight fade to violet-pink at the edge. Rich nose of red and black fruit, especially strawberry and blackberry. Great balance on the mid-palate with smooth but expressive tannins, dark fruit (expecially black cherry and blackberry) and fresh acidity. A long and luxurious black (mostly cherry) fruit finish.

Again a good food wine that really tried to go with everything thrown at it - roast beef (good match), baked potato with butter and freshly ground black pepper (better match) and curried cauliflower with rotel tomatoes (surprisingly good match considering the medium spiciness of this dish).
Last edited by Tom N. on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Re: WTN: Guigal Cotes du Rhone Blanc

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:53 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to see the 2004 Guigal Cotes du Rhone Rouge being poured at my husband's college reunion last night. Since the food was barely edible, I could at least drink and enjoy the wine. I was expecting Yellow Tail.
Thanks for the good note on the Blanc.
Diane
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi Diane,

Guigal is one of my favorite Rhone producers. I like the red Cotes du Rhone also, and it has been my house red at times in the past. Guigal seldon disappoints.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

Re: WTN: Guigal Cotes du Rhone Blanc and Sablet Rouge

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:06 pm

Tom N. wrote:CHATEAU DU TRIGNON SABLET 2004 CÔTES DU RHÔNE – VILLAGES $20.95 (FRANCE)

Part of the Vintages spotlight on France, this is a monster red, with aromas of woodland fires and smoky black cherry. The flavours show violets, scorched earth, with lovely black cherry finesse. Evident tannins, still a very youthful red.

Food suggestion: Rare steak or tartare.

I had an earlier vintage of this Sablet a number of years ago and really loved it. Glad to see they are still going strong. I'll have to go out and find some of this wine again.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:01 pm

Coincidentally, I recently had a bottle of the '05 Guigal blanc and posted a note on it here. I'm not as much of a fan of Guigal as you are, but it is a nice wine, if a bit overpriced in my estimation.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:45 am

Tom N. wrote:Hi Diane,

Guigal is one of my favorite Rhone producers. I like the red Cotes du Rhone also, and it has been my house red at times in the past. Guigal seldon disappoints.

Tom: After tonight, I am a new conmvert to the House of Guigal :)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:27 am

Tom wrote.......I had an earlier vintage of this Sablet a number of years ago and really loved it. Glad to see they are still going strong. I'll have to go out and find some of this wine again.

I too have fond memories of Sablet but cannot find at this moment. Guigal, I do not understand all the high praise here? At tastings, have wondered how standards have changed, for the worse.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 pm

Well...praise from me for Guigal reflects some degree of inexperience with Rhone wines. All I can say is I found their 2001 C de Pape delicious. I am eagerly awaiting opportunities to try the "better" producers. :lol:
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:25 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Tom wrote.......I had an earlier vintage of this Sablet a number of years ago and really loved it. Glad to see they are still going strong. I'll have to go out and find some of this wine again.

I too have fond memories of Sablet but cannot find at this moment. Guigal, I do not understand all the high praise here? At tastings, have wondered how standards have changed, for the worse.

Hi Bob,

I did not write about having sablet a number of years ago, that was Clark. This was my first sablet and it is not a Guigal it is made by Chateau du Trignon.

My experience with Guigal is limited to Cotes du Rhone rouge (2001-02), Chateauneuf du Pape vertical at MoCool 98-2001, and I have a Guigal Crozes-Hermitage 2004 in my cellar now that is quite good, but not impressive. Guigal is good to exceptional in my limited experience and has never been bad or pedestrian.

What is your experience with Guigal Bob?
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:57 pm

Yes that Trignon Sablet was superb in the old days, not much around here any more! Guigal, I always seem to go for the whites as I am a big Rhone white fan. I have not tried the high end reds of late but some `03s from CdR and Crozes Hermitage were not to my liking. Short finish, some bitterness, just nothing special.
I am not the big Rhone drinker I used to be so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt please! Wanna talk Malbec, LOL.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:44 pm

Tom,

I tasted a 1996 Guigal Cote Rotie a few days ago, and unless the wine was damaged it is at or approaching it's life. some stewed prune flavors, a little forest floor, no bacon, some herb and vanilla. pretty blah, and I expect more than that for $65. If I could afford them I would drink the la-la's but There are IMO better CndP and CdR wines for less money. Having said that I should at least try the white which I have not had in several vintages.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:20 pm

Hi Bob,

I liked the white and I think you like marsanne, which I found quite prominent in the 2005 Guigal CdR blanc. Try it, I think you will like it.
Tom Noland
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Chateau Trignon

by Jim Cassidy » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:31 pm

Chateau du Trignon is the house wine of our favorite restaurant anywhere in the world, Les Abeilles (The Bees.)

The Chateau du Trignon red has paired wonderfully with everything Les Abeilles's Chef Johannes Sailer has served us with it, and with everything I have served with it at home (usually rare to medium-rare beef.)

Les Abeilles is located right down the street from Chateau du Trignon in Sablet. Lovely dining room, rooms available upstairs, friendly management, five minute drive from Gigondas.

After four trips to Europe, Les Abeilles is the one place I have vowed to return to on every future trip to the continent.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Soo, Ont.

Re: Chateau Trignon

by Tom N. » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:05 pm

Jim Cassidy wrote:Chateau du Trignon is the house wine of our favorite restaurant anywhere in the world, Les Abeilles (The Bees.)

The Chateau du Trignon red has paired wonderfully with everything Les Abeilles's Chef Johannes Sailer has served us with it, and with everything I have served with it at home (usually rare to medium-rare beef.)

Les Abeilles is located right down the street from Chateau du Trignon in Sablet. Lovely dining room, rooms available upstairs, friendly management, five minute drive from Gigondas.

After four trips to Europe, Les Abeilles is the one place I have vowed to return to on every future trip to the continent.

Wow, what a testimonial. I agree with your assessment of the Trignon CdR-V going with about any food. Any red that pairs well with curried vegetables gets my vote as a great food wine - the best kind of wine in my opinion.
Tom Noland