The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Raboso, Cava, Rosenblum, Conde de Siruela, Tormaresca, Phelan Segur

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Raboso, Cava, Rosenblum, Conde de Siruela, Tormaresca, Phelan Segur

by Jay Labrador » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 am

Notes from wines at home and at Barcino Gourmet with the usual suspects.

Before going to Barcino, had dinner of bacon cheeseburgers at home accmpanied by:

Azienda Agricola Riboni Raboso NV - Sparkling Italian red. Bought it because it was on sale. Some noticeable sweetness, very gentle fizz, simple but easy, juicy. Probably better with pizza than burgers but still a decent match.

After dinner, off to Barcino Gourmet to meet up with Johnny, Dicky, Arnie, Helen and Vince.

Valformosa Cava Brut 2003 - Some butterscotch. Weak finish. Not really all that dry. Not bad.

Conde de Siruela Elite 2004 - From Ribera del Duero. I've had the non-Elite versions of this which I thought quite good. This Elite was oaky, modern, sweet but lean. A good wine in the international style and very difficult to identify as Spanish. Looks like it was made to get the points. Drinking well now.

Rosenblum Zinfandel Vintner's Cuvee XXVIII - Not much on the nose. Soft and sweet but has a bit of grip on the finish. Obvious oakiness but just shy of being overbearing. Easy, not bad.

Tomaresca Torcicoda Primitivo Salento 2003 - Smokey, bacony nose. Oaky. Starts out sweet but finishes dry and tannic.

After those three rather oaky, international-style wines it was a relief to taste:

Chateau Phelan-Segur 2001 - Berryish nose. Ripe fruit but dry wine. Meaty. Polished for the most part but with slightly coarse tannins in the finish. Very nice and a refreshing change of pace.
Last edited by Jay Labrador on Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Raboso, Cava, Rosenblum, Conde de Siruela, Tormares

by Saina » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:48 pm

So the sparkler was made from Raboso? I have tasted only one Raboso (still red) and I really enjoyed it: funky, herbal, rustic and the very antithesis of spoofulated. Weird but great stuff. What is happening to the grape? Is there any chance of a revival in its fortunes or is it all going to disappear?

Jay Labrador wrote:After those three rather oaky, international-style wines it was a relief to taste:

Chateau Phelan-Segur 2001 - Berryish nose. Ripe fruit but dry wine. Meaty. Polished for the most part but with slightly coarse tannins in the finish. Very nice and a refreshing change of pace.

I also like Phélan-Ségur. Very St-Estephy - rather rugged, with a charm that isn't immediately obvious but which grows on you. I don't think I've tasted post-'98s so I'm happy to read that they seem to be doing their usual stuff.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

Re: WTN: Raboso, Cava, Rosenblum, Conde de Siruela, Tormares

by Jay Labrador » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:13 pm

Otto,

Yes, the sparkler was made from Raboso ( I forgot to include that info in my post but I've edited it). The only info I have on this grape is from the Oxford which says plantings continue to decline and and only 2300 hl are made every year. Too bad.