The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So what are we drinking this weekend?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

So what are we drinking this weekend?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:41 am

I am thinking of opening a 96 Pontet Canet after last nights excellent mini Bordeaux tasting downtown. Also the `01 Pikes Shiraz from Claire Valley.

What else is lined up forumites?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: So what are we drinking this weekend?

by Brian K Miller » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:13 am

Elizabeth Spencer Winery is hosting a "Paella Party" featuring their new 2004 Napa Valley Cab and 2006 Sonoma Coast (Carneros, basically) Chardonnay-which, unlike their Napa Valley, sees a modicum of oak.

My presence was requested at the retirement party for our big boss (the City Manager) and he is donating a bunch of wines to the evening. Tomorrow will be a big day. :?
no avatar
User

Lizbeth S

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:41 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Lizbeth S » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 am

Tomorrow will be a big day for me as well. I am making my first trip across the PA/NJ border to Moore Bros with my mentor from the law firm where I work. I'm psyched to have such a huge variety of bottles from which to choose a few. Although I think I may buy more than a few, which means I'm also going to have to buy a larger wine rack! :D
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:15 pm

AHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm taking my church youth group camping this weekend. No alcohol until Sunday night. Help!!!!!!!

I am going to a cabernet franc tasting tasting Sunday with our monthly wine group.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sharon S.

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Buckinghamshire, UK

by Sharon S. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Ah, it'll be wine matching for a weekend watching the culmination of our most favorite sports on TV. So we'll go with wines that match the country we want to win.

Rugby world cup - tonight the 3rd / 4th place play-offs between Argentina and France. So it'll be something Argentinan for tonight (probably a Malbec, to go with a v. flavorsome home-grown bean & green tomato stew).

Rugby world cup - tomorrow the final between South Africa and England. So obviously it'll be one of our wonderful English white wines (to go with a greek-style plaki I'll be cooking).

F1 final round at Brazil - Sunday. And, of course, more English wine to cheer on Lewis Hamilton to become hopefully the first British F1 rookie world champion!

As to the actual wines, well that would require getting off the futon to look at what's in our wine cellar (aka the couple of boxes in the utility cupboard in the kitchen). And as I'm too comfortable after a long week at work surfing and being half way thru my first glass of the night (a lovely Spanish rose aperatif, in case you're wondering :) ) whilst Ewie sorts out dinner, you'll have to wait for an update at the end of the weekend! :D
no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

by Dan Donahue » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:59 pm

I'm having dinner Sunday with a few fellow eBobers, the theme is Spanish wines with some age. I'm bring an '06 Fillaboa Albarino and a '91 Pesquera Reserva. Not sure what the other wines will be, but there has been mention of Vega-Sicilia Valbuena and older Priorat.

Should be fun.
Je ne peux pas le faire
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Finishing off an intriguing Cotes de St. Mont blanc from the Plaimont co-op. As the skies turn darker and rainy-looking, I'm eyeing some of my older Petite Sirahs and Rhones.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:18 pm

Hi Bob,

Tonight we finished off a Canadian gwerztraminer 2004 Reif with sauteed fish filets.

Tomorrow I think we are going to have beef tenderloin. I am thinking about opening up a Rhone - 2004 Vacqueyras Les Christins - Perrin & Fils. I have had this wine before and it is sumptuous.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:33 pm

CMMiller wrote:Finishing off an intriguing Cotes de St. Mont blanc from the Plaimont co-op. As the skies turn darker and rainy-looking, I'm eyeing some of my older Petite Sirahs and Rhones.

Huh?? Where are you again, Christian? This is Indian Summer season in NoCal... or didn't anyone let you in on that secret? :lol: Your description sounds apt for our environment, but tonight I'm actually drinking a 2005 Navarro Dry White Muscat that could almost pass for a Gewurztraminer (except it's lighter in body): dry, minerally, floral, citrusy but without what I consider to be the tell-tale Muscat aromatic quality. Still, a mighty nice wine for the price (~$15 IIRC).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Normally we'd be soaking up the last blast of heat and the last round of tomatoes and summer fruit. But it's been an odd Fall in the Bay Area this year - late summer heat, then unexpectedly cool (same temps as New England for a while), then a brief blast of heat, then cloudy and occasional rains. Tricky times for growers and barbecues. The last couple of days in Berkeley it's been mild rain and clouds, temperatures in the 50s-60s.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:01 am

Tonite, I was lucky to taste the `95 Ch. de Fieuzal (Pessac-Leognan). Quite delicious, berry-like bouquet, lead pencil, gravel. Lovely balance, still has a future ahead. Had that classic cigar-box appeal.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:34 pm

NJ suggested a Cali-Cab to accompany a Saturday dinner of grilled loin lamb chops. Looks like a 1994 Simi Reserve Cabernet will be sacrificed.
'Winger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:29 pm

The weekend started early for us with a Winemaker's Dinner on Thursday evening. with each of the five courses, we sampled Woodward Canyon wines: 2006 Chardonnay, 2005 Nelms Road Merlot, 2004 Columbia Valley Syrah, 2004 Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon, and the 2003 Estate Red. Too bad I didn't plan ahead to take Friday off. :roll: These wines are all big and rich, and the Chardonnay did not taste like buttery oak soup ... thank goodness.

We cut back substantially on Friday, and opened the bottle of NV Sleight of Hand Spellbinder I purchased recently. This is a fun red blend that is drinkable today with very interesting flavors and complexity.

Tonight we are going to a local restaurant featuring Argentine cuisine, so we will undoubtedly drink something with Malbec in it.

Sunday ... who knows? Perhaps we'll finish the Spellbinder.

-- Clark

PS to James: Please post your notes from the Cabernet Franc tasting you will be attending Sunday.
no avatar
User

Brad N

Rank

Just got here

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:54 pm

by Brad N » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:01 pm

edmonton rocky mountain tasting is tonight. so i'm not sure what we'll be drinking but there'll be quite a selection that's for sure.

before we head out i'm opening a 2003 steller's jay sparkling from sumac. it's DELICIOUS. should have brought back more than 2 of them. grrrrrr.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Brad, welcome to the forum! Good folks here who like the good life. Where are you, Alberta?