The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 Decent Values - Loire, Kremstal, Rhone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 3 Decent Values - Loire, Kremstal, Rhone

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:46 am

Betsy had needed some white wine for her osso buco Friday, and opened the 2004 Geyerhof "Rosensteig" Grüner Veltliner (Kremstal). I tried some Saturday, just like it's predeccessors- high acidity, citrus fruit, a touch of pepper and flint. Not exciting, but nice enough food wine at $5 closeout price B-/B

So Saturday I was a bachelor, and before watching the ALCS game I fixed myself dinner. I had done freezer inventory, and thawed a small package of chicken liver and a halibut filet my brother had caught in Alaska. Sauteed the livers for an appetizer, then some green beans in same pan. Broiled the halibut, topped with herb sauce. Wine was the 1990 Domaine Fouquet Vouvray Sec. I had never heard of producer, but I had bought this just because it was (a) at Chambers St and (b) under $20. OK, so Huet and Foreau have nothing to worry about. I didn't find it to have the depth or complexity of their young wines, much less mature ones. But it is certainly a good value nonetheless. Obvious Chenin character- apple cider edged with lanolin and beeswax. Nice acidity adds a little lemon edge. This is not austerely dry, I get  a little RS, I'd have said sec-tendre. The surprise match for me was the liver- very good with the Chenin Blanc. Doesn't really show any sign of age or oxidation, fresh as a daisy. I try another glass during game 7 (way to go, Sox!) and it's as fresh as night #1. Not Huet, but cheaper- I ordered a couple more last night. I think it compares favorably with the Prince Poniatowski late release Vouvray some people get excited about. B+/B.

Sunday Betsy was going to the city for a meeting,so we decided to eat in mid-afternoon. She is preparing for a symposium next week, and needed some time for research before a dip back into academia. So I said I'd do the meal. I decided on pork braised in red wine, red wine vinegar, bay leaves,and onion (plus cabbage in white wine and carrots). Wanted a wine to both cook and have with the meal, since we'd only have a small glass each (3 PM meals and multiple glasses don't work for me) I wanted something cheap. So up comes the 2005 La Vieille Ferme (Cotes du Ventoux) rouge. Over a decade this wine has never been exciting, but I'll be damned if it isn't usually a good value in almost every vintage.  This is no exception. Ripe red fruit, light tannins, decent acidity. Some herb/underbrush. Good value at $7ish. The screwcap is a definite bonus for a wine I might buy as a cooking wine for Bets. B/B-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
Last edited by Dale Williams on Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 3 Decent Values - Loire, Kremstal, Rhone

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:11 am

Was that Fouquet with a "q"? I've heard of Domaine Fouquet Bonnet (and Bernard Fouquet, of course). Sounds nice for the price. thanks.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 3 Decent Values - Loire, Kremstal, Rhone

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:36 am

Oops, you're right, will edit.
The larger print just said Domaine Fouquet, believe the small print said Andre Fouquet.